Today I was going to post this poem I wrote after I shared it in the YW class I taught in 2nd ward. The lesson was on living the gospel daily.
Then, tonight, I learned that President Hinckley had passed away. I feel if there is one thing I have learned from him it is to quit talking, start doing. He was the greatest example of living the gospel daily. This quote from him is on my computer desk, "Live the gospel. Live the gospel. That's my counsel to the members of the Church. Live the gospel. Look to God and live. That's the sum and substance. Look to God and live."
So, I'll share this poem and try to live the gospel, to follow the prophet.
Daily Living
Living the gospel every day
Does not have to be a chore.
It doesn’t turn you into
A stuffy, grumpy bore.
Instead it gives you purpose,
A happiness to your life.
It helps when you have down days,
Or any kind of strife.
You learn the needs of others,
To reach outside yourself
To go the extra mile—
What Jesus would do to help.
Your prayers become more sincere
When you are on your knees.
You believe your Savior really hears
And understands your pleas.
When you live the gospel every day
A grateful heart you’ll grow.
You’ll go from just "I believe"
To a heartfelt, strong "I know!"
Being obedient isn’t too hard
When you practice it every day.
When temptation comes to choose the wrong,
You’ll know just what to say.
Your mind is clear, your body free
Of pollution that distorts your view.
You’re open to inspiration,
Help comes from heaven anew.
If you think that it’s too hard
Then put it to the test.
Try living the gospel every day,
Don’t do less than your best.
And when the test is over,
Your blessings won’t be dim.
Your life, once dark, is filled with light;
You’re prepared to live with Him.
Written by KJHA, January 10, 2008



2 comments:
Thank-you for sharing your poem. A great thing to think about as I start out a new week.
I love your poems! I want to print that one and frame it in my living room! You hit it right on! Love you guys!
Post a Comment