Friday, February 26, 2010

2010 Book List

I kept a list of books I read in 2009, and enjoyed updating and reviewing it so much I decided to do it again for 2010. You can refer to the posts by clicking on the links on the right hand side of the blog. I'll do my best to keep it updated!


Here we go...I re-read this fun book by Sandra Dallas. The only thing wrong with this book is the bad guy has the same last name as my mother's maiden name. It's a bit of a mystery set in a small town in Kansas during the dust bowl years. It's a story of sticking together, doing the best you can, and quilting. I hope to read more of her books this year and see if they are any good.
We read Persuasion by Jane Austen for our book club. I am a fan of Jane Austen so I loved it. I think this book is actually quite funny when you get into the vanity and self-centeredness of her family, and how they have no use for her, who is kind and sophisticated and tender hearted in every way. Luckily she can rise above it and have the happy life she deserves.

I devoured the Hunger Games. It was a quick read, suspenseful, not gory like I feared it might be, and I am just needing to get the second book to satisfy my curiosity. I'd let you in on what it's about, but it just sounds to weird.

I read the second book not too long after I wrote about the Hunger Games.  Loved it and it's such a fast read!  The next one doesn't come out until late summer!!!


This is a sweet book! Gene Stratton-Porter who wrote Freckles also wrote Girl of the Limberlost which is another delightful book. Freckles is a young crippled orphan who lands a job guarding a swamp land which is filled with precious lumber. He faces many enemies and trials but through wonderful friendship and those who treat him as one of their own, he grows into the man he was meant to be.




I didn't know what to expect with this book.  It didn't follow any of the paths I thought it would take but because it was an historical novel, I found it very fascinating.  I want to read the next novel, which is part of the same family, only another generation down the road, and about why the Taj Mahal was built.
I have read the Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom before, and it is such an inspiring and heart breaking book.  It is a story that will make you wonder about your own strength of faith, what would you do in the face of evil, and what part of you is left to be discovered, and can you discover it without a major trial.  I love this book, and though it is so difficult to read because it is true, it is well worth the read.  And read it with a pencil because there's plenty of things to underline.
Have you ever wondered (if you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) how the church came to be the owner of the Hill Cumorah?  I hadn't either, but once I read this book about that very thing, I was so grateful for the people who struggled in a hostile environment for our benefit.  Read "A Lion and a Lamb" by Rand H. Packer.
I had heard a lot about The Uglies and finally read it, when I needed to spend just a few more dollars to get free shipping at Amazon.  I thought it was a good read and I will read the rest, but I'll probably check them out from the library.  Good but not super good :).
My sister-in-law and fellow reader gave me Precious Bane and I did love it.  It's a love story, though not the typical type.  It's set a long time ago and there are so many rumors and troubles of living with a hair-lip.  Her brother will do anything to get into a better social class, and she is a pure true soul.  You have to get used to translating what they are saying in your head, but it's an interesting read that leaves you feeling good and thinking about what passion you have in life.

1 comment:

Ms. Fish said...

Hi,
I was blog surfing (I call that blurfing or surflogging) and happened upon your blog. (Didn't want to a blurker, so here I am speaking up. I love that term. LOL)

Anything to do with reading perks up my attention. I LOVE that you keep a reading list. That's awesome. Do you use Goodreads? http://www.goodreads.com/


I LOVED, LOVED Persian Pickle Club. I'm glad to find someone else that has read it.

Happy blogging and happy reading!
Jen