Thursday, March 26, 2009

2009 Books I've read

I always read lots of Christmas stories, but this is one book worth reading every year. We would be well to have an examination in our lives every so often! And make the changes accordingly, despite what anyone would say.

This is the sequel to The Breadwinner. Things continue to get worse and worse, and even the happy ending is nothing to shout about, as who knows where things will go from there. It is a heartwrenching look at what people will do to stay alive, and makes me wonder if I truly appreciate the simple facts that I have a body, a home, and food, and freedom.

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis is about a young girl growing up in modern day Afghanistan under Taliban rule. She is forced into being the breadwinner for her family, a crime punished by death is caught. It is a very sad and heart wrenching book.


This is a book about a family who move from place to place in search of a better life. They are poor, but don't need to be. There is a source of income if they choose to have it, but they don't and it's the story of Jeannette Walls, the author, and how she overcame the life her parents chose for their family. While it's hard to say I enjoyed this book, I am very glad I read it.


Miss Morissa is the story of a young woman doctor who is the first homesteader at Clark's Bridge near the Black Hills. She has dealings with all kinds of people, including Calamity Jane and a few other outlaws. She watches as the Indians are forced from their homes, as the territory changes from lawlessness to civilized. She also has her own story to tell, and her own personal challengesto deal with. I didn't love it, but I'm glad I read it. I liked this book, and laughed right out loud once (it's not really a comedy, but some things are just funny!). Kind of a sad book about man's inhumanity to man.









A book about an Ordodox Jewish community who faces change, and most importantly, they realize who they really are and have to decide if that's how they really want to be.





I always enjoy reading dear Jane Austen. I enjoyed reading this to the soundtrack from the movie!




A story about a journey that is so unbelievable you have to believe that it really happened. Most people only dream of really finding out so much about themselves.




Do you believe in miracles and heaven? Can they be taught in a book about murder and outlaws? Try it! I really like this book.





Princess Academy: I LOVE this book, beginning, middle, and end. Read it!





The Sunflower: didn't really love it, not a waste of time either.






The Blue Sword was kind of hard to get in to but I loved it the more I read.




Summer of the Swans: I read this because Jack was. It was o.k.










Multiple Blessings: I'm a fan anyway, but it was fun to read this book.





The Midwife's Apprentice: This was a fun read, quick and uplifting!





Grace: I guess I'm just not a big Richard Paul Evans fan...this one was o.k. but I did want it to end differently.






An Episode of Sparrows: I thought this was a charming read...wanted the story to keep on going and going.

2 comments:

theloulie said...

I love Princess Academy too. So what did you think of The Blue Sword? I really like Robin Mckinley. I also liked the Midwife's Apprentice.

Sophie said...

You are one busy momma! I like catching up here!