Thursday, September 11, 2008

Patriot Day


Jack asked me this morning to tell him about September 11. I thought I could do it without emotion, so as not to scare him, but I couldn't do it. I told him he was just under a year old and I had sat down to feed him a bottle and watch Price is Right. Instead they were showing the twin towers where a plane had just crashed into one of the towers. Not too much later another plane came into view and then what they thought had been an accident was now clearly an attack. I sat there in disbelief and silent tears streaming down my face. It was unbelievable, yet there it was. I called John and he was fine (working for the government isn't always free and clear...) and then I called my parents who were on a mission in Alabama at the time. I watched all day, could not turn away, and absorbed what I could. Over the next few days I had to turn it off because I could not handle all the grief and pain of others. It was overwhelming. Then I remember everyone got those little flags to put on their cars and a great feeling of patriotism came over the country. Our little town here had a parade of 1000 flags and now all the flags are set up in a field and it's impressive. I found this little tribute on the internet so if you have a second check it out. Where were you? What were you doing?

6 comments:

loricjensen said...

Thanks for the inspiring post. I had to write my own. Don't ever forget!

Ratliffs said...

I second that...I put the info on my blog!

Desiree said...

I loved that little tribute, it made me cry, which I don't do very often. It was very touching. Thank you!!

Verity said...

Thank you for this. The kids and I had a good discussion about 9/11 over breakfast and tried to remember families who lost loved ones in our prayers.

Leslie said...

I was working at Discover Card. My co-workers were getting very nervous that we might be targeted. I remember trying to calm them by explaining that Discover Card wasn't important enough to target.
It was horrible. I had just found out I was FINALLY pregnant, after 4 1/2 years of trying, and suddenly I was VERY scared of the world I was bringing this child into.

Kim said...

I was at school and they canceled classes mid-day once everyone realized what had happened. I remember listening to the radio on the way home and hearing callers from New York describe what they were seeing. It was unbelievable and it didn't sink in that this had really happened until a few hours later when I saw the tv footage.