Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Away In A Manger


When I found out that the Wordful Wednesday would be about our favorite Christmas music I knew what hymn I would write about. When I turned about seven I was asked in Primary to choose my favorite song and we would sing it. I picked Away in a Manger and good old Sister Jenkins had us sing it. My birthday is in July! I think I can trace my love of this song back to a time when I had stayed home sick from school. I remember laying in the old brass bed in my bedroom, staring at the walls, listening to the ladies sing. The ladies were a singing group that my mom accompanied on the piano. As their voices drifted up the stairway, I felt like angels were singing to me! I have loved it ever since.

A little history of the hymn: The first two verses of "Away in a Manger" were originally published in a Lutheran Sunday school book in 1885. Two years later, James R. Murray published it as "Luther's Cradle Hymn," thus creating the misconception that Luther had written it. Although some attribute the words to Luther, they are usually considered American anonymous. Some credit the music to Murray; others think he merely harmonized an old German folk song. the words are frequently sung to the tune of the Scottish song "Flow Gently Sweet Afton." I found this on this site. And most of the sites said the same thing.

Also see Annie's Manger Page for some other fun details about the lyrics of the song.

I love so many other songs and I wish I could include them here. But, you can get them for free for yourself on Amazon.com downloads until December 31. (Thanks, Loulie). Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

Montserrat said...

Which melody of Away in the Manger do you like best?

Thanks telling us about the free Christmas music downloads!

Allison said...

Thanks for sharing the experience that made this hymn your favorite!

The LDS hymnbook version of Away in a Manger has been a favorite of mine since I was a young teen. I love the harmony in that version.

Becky said...

Thank you for the free download link. And for your cute story.

James and Aimee said...

This is a great hymn! We've been singing this in our primary so I'm kind of partial to that version right now. The kids all love singing the echo.

MaryAnne said...

I love the angel's singing memory - and thanks for the link to amazon downloads, I didn't know about those!

Ratliffs said...

I totally agree with you!! How can you pick just one!!

turning about said...

I really appreciate your last couple of entries! I love this song too and sang it often to my kids when I was little. I am struggling a bit myself with feelings of being overwhelmed, mainly because I never feel like I do enough. I needed those great words of encouragement and your great poem to ponder and reflect on. Have a very Merry Christmas!

theloulie said...

I love this song too, it was my lullaby song to Kira when she was a baby.