Sunday, February 21, 2010

My friend called me yesterday. She and I and another gal were planning a girls night get away next month and she was backing out. It was for the only reason acceptable. She was getting a baby. She has two beautiful children and they both came the same way...with a phone call and only precious little time to get ready for a major life changing event. This time they are flying to Detroit as I type, with a 10:00 appointment tomorrow morning to pick up their new baby boy. She is one of my many friends who have added to their family in this way. I do not know their pain and suffering from not being able to have children biologically speaking, that is, but I do know that they are all terriffic mothers to their children and are an inspiration to me.

When I lived in Ridgecrest my friend had adopted her little guy just before we got there. We became close friends and when she called me to tell me another baby was coming to their family I hung up and cried with happiness for her.

Some of the stories I have heard are just amazing. One friend had to go through 2! moms backing out. But it's pretty clear that her girls were meant for her.

My other friend had one baby, then nothing for many years. By the time they were accepted as adoptive parents, she was pregnant again and has two sweet girls just months apart.

One of our favorite stories in my family was how my sister came to be in our family. I won't tell it here, but suffice it to say, when my mom invited her friends to come and see what she got, they never dreamed it would be a beautiful baby girl.

So, here's a little shout out to all those who've adopted for whatever reason. And tomorrow at 10:00 as I picture my friend receiving her new baby I'll just have to smile!

4 comments:

Amy said...

It is so funny that you blogged about this because I was just talking to friends tonight about adoption and how hard it is. I'm happy for your friend and hope that everything works out great for her family! It's nice to know that there are so many stories here and there about adoption that make our hearts smile! :)

Betsey said...

I would have to say that this is the coolest post ever. Adopted kids are the best!! I believe that I am where I belong. I can't imagine being anywhere else....Love you

Desiree said...

You brought tears to my eyes with this post. I'm so excited for your friend. I bet they won't be sleeping much tonight.

Kerri said...

And I'm so glad we have Betsey, too!