Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Father's Role....Wordful Wednesday

Wordful Wednesday is currently dissecting the Proclamation on the Family. This week the assignment is...


Father's Role in a Family "By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families." (Family Proclamation, paragraph 7)
What role did your father play in your life? What about your husband with your children? Were there other men who helped to fill a father's role for you as you were growing up?
What role did my father play in my life?  Why, the role of father, of course!  He taught us how to work (just get it done and then you'll be done!), how to relax (sleeping on the floor in the living room), how to laugh (he has a great laugh and he cries when he laughs really hard), how to make the time for everything (only now that I look back and see all that he did that I wonder how he got it all done), and how to serve (he used to take us home teaching with him occasionally, and he's always put his whole heart into every calling he's had).

What about your husband with your children?  John didn't grow up with the greatest of dads, so I was a little worried about what kind of dad he would be.  As we talked while we were dating about what we wanted a family to look like, I could see that he was determined to do things in a better way, and when John makes up his mind, it's pretty sure to be accomplished.  John backs me up, which is an important element in our relationship.  He teaches them how to work, how to relax, how to play, and how to serve.  Hmmm....

Were there other men who played a fathers role?  I don't know that there were any who filled any of that role, but I spent some time with my friends and their dads were around.  One friend's dad would drive us around to go toilet papering, which is something my dad probably wouldn't have done!  My brother never played the role of father to me, but I appreciate how he father's his own kids.  He's raised some great kids (with some help from his wife...) and it's fun to watch them play together. 

Nothing earth shattering here...but I'm grateful for fathers.  What is one quality you gained from your dad?

 

6 comments:

Judi said...

How to laugh . . . that is a great one!

I am always glad to read about good dads out there! I wasn't fortunate to have an active father and my husband lost his dad at age 11; although he is a great example of a father to our four children.

Montserrat said...

I think your dad is one of Mr. FR's favorite uncles! What a great man.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your dad! :)

Mommymita said...

toilet pappering? How funny/fun

Great fathers come with all sorts of different personalities!

Vicki said...

I love your Dad (and your Mom too). I remember coming to your house and feeling the love just emanate from every room.

I love the fact that your Dad took naps on the floor in the living room. My Dad did that too!

Braden and Cheri said...

I LOVE that every Hicken man laughs with the same unbelievably contagious laugh and that they cry so often when they do it! I LOVE being with my dad because I know that at some point, we will laugh until our sides hurt. I love that you can tell them just about any funny story and they will think it is hilarious! I never knew Uncle Bob until living in AZ and I found he is exactly the same way. I already knew Neil was. Not sure about Dale, and Claude's isn't the EXACT same, so I guess MOST of the Hicken men laugh that way. I love it.