Thursday, September 9, 2010

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

This is the recipe I use for Zucchini Chocolate Cake...
I'm posting it in honor of the

135th Zucchini

I found the recipe in the Essential Mormon Cookbook, which is one of my most used and favorite cookbook.  I like to read it just for fun sometimes.  Enjoy!

1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3 1-ounce squares unsweetened baking chocolate
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini

In a large bowl combine oil, sugar, and eggs.  In a separate bowl sift dry ingredients; add to first mixture.  Add milk and mix well.  Melt baking chocolate in the microwave for 20-second intervals, until just melted.  Blend chocolate and vanilla into batter.  Stir in zucchini.  Bake in greased 9x13 baking dish at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes (although I've found it to go longer usually).  cool and frost.

Chocolate Butter Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
2 1-ounce square unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium saucepan bring butter and milk to a boil.  Remove from heat.  Add melted chocolate, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.

(I should note here that this frosting is SO GOOD that you really need to remember to turn off the beaters before you lick them.  Just a  thought.)

3 comments:

Jenni Call said...

I NEED to try this! I have, would you say, a plethora?!

Vicki said...

So with 135 zucchini's, how many Zuchini Chocolate Cakes can you make?

135 zucchinis is hilarious.

theloulie said...

I love the subtitle for the cookbook! And, Holy Cow! 135 zucchini? We've been booming in eggplant, I don't think we've reached 135 though, and I don't think there is an eggplant chocolate cake recipe.