Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wordful Wednesday is back!

I'm excited for Wordful Wednesday to be back over at Chocolate On My Cranium, because I haven't been to great about writing lately and it's bothering me!  Maybe this will be just the thing to get me going.  Or not.  We'll see!

This week's topic is 

My Favorite Childhood Book

You might as well ask me which of my children I would save if the house were on fire.  I could not give an answer.  I started reading at a very early age.  I read anything I could get my hands on.  My mom also read to us as children, and thus my posting for today.  I'm not sure how old I was, but I do know that my sister Stacy was still living at home and she married when I was 9 so it was before that.  She had a friend up the street, a student exchange student from Sweden (I think...can't wait to see if I have my facts straight!), named Lotta.  Well, one day Lotta came to our home and walked in the back door and there we were, sitting in the kitchen, bawling our eyes out.  Lotta was very alarmed and asked what the matter was.  Through our tears we exclaimed the unthinkable.  Charlotte had diedYou can imagine her concern for us, and then the confusion as we tried to explain that Charlotte was a spider.  And fictional.  And yet I tear up still at the thought of her beautiful and unlikely friendship with "Some Pig".  

A tie for first place goes to my dear friend, Anne (with an e).  She really had me believing that even I was her kindred spirit.  She had spunk, a great 'scope for imagination', a desire to do good and yet a temper and impulse for the romantic that made me want to try walking the ridge of the house, though I am much too practical and fearful for that sort of thing.  I adored Gilbert, even if she didn't (for a while) and when Matthew asked her to stay, you knew everything was going to be all right.  I used Anne for a middle name for my youngest daughter and though it is after her grandma, Ruth Ann, the 'e' is a token to one of my favorite books of all time.  I read it in February when I am feeling the Winter Doldrums and it changes everything. My brother-in-law taunts me that he got to serve his mission on Prince Edward Island, meanie.

If you haven't read it, you absolutely must!  The books were made into a movie, and the movie is captivating and delightful, but nothing beats reading it!  I read the whole series, once upon a time, and it's great, but as with most books, the first one is the best.

I have to put in a plug here for a couple more of my favorites...

Bobbsey Twins  (My grandma gave me a few of these and a few of them survived with me to now.)
 Little House on the Prairie (I recently re-read a few of these and they really are fabulous!)

So, what's your favorite book from childhood?

10 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

The little house series is wonderful! Great selection here!

Jeanette said...

Do you own those old Little House books with the original Garth Willems illustrations? Lucky! I hate that they have a different illustrator now. I have slowly been picking copies up at used book stores with the Willems illustrations. Did you know his are not the originals either? Someone else did the pictures when the books were first published.
Okay, enough with the book trivia.
I love the first Anne too but think Anne of the Island might be my favorite. It is just lots of fun!

Montserrat said...

Is it bad that I am laughing at the picture of you guys crying about Charlotte? I can so totally picture it! It sounds just like the Crooks. :D

Cellista said...

I just barely read the entire Little House series for the first time this summer with my kids. I'd only read a couple before, but I've always loved Anne as well.

n8'swife said...

The little house books are at the top of my list. I have mine from my younger days and look forward to Emma reading them.

Jamie said...

I LOVE all these selections! I think I have some re-reading to do!

Betsey said...

What about Summer of the Monkeys? I remember reading that one as a family also. I also loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Nancy Drew, Boxcar Children. I could go on and on. Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

wonderful classics!!!!!!

Judi said...

We listened to all the Little House books on CD during our times in the van off to lessons etc. We love them too. Now my girls are reading the Caroline series and Martha series and are loving them too.

Verity said...

I could definitely relate to all of your choices, especially Anne of Green Gables! Jane Eyre, Little Women, Nancy Drew, and later, To Kill a Mockingbird! :)