Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas came early...

Nine years ago we bought a piano and brought it home.  My 1928 Gulbransen had been used in vaudeville by the current owners grandfather.  Being a sentimentalist and all, I fell in love.  We moved it in and loved it.  Then, little sweeties got to it with their toys and the keys began to chip.  The damper pedal constantly came apart (easily fixed but I had to take the whole piano apart every time!).  The final straw came a few weeks ago when the low G key began sounding funny, and by the end hardly played at all.  We began to search on KSL classifieds and began to see what we did and did not want.  We narrowed it down and finally found a few key pianos, two of them being exactly the same!

We went and looked.  The sweet older lady that had never played her piano (really!  Not like the little old lady who only drives her corvette around town) seemed to be the one to go with, but in the end she wouldn't budge on her price.  The next guy, a professional piano tuner who sells pianos on the side, praised the piano up and down but seemed pretty firm on his price.  The next day he bargained, tuned it for free, and that night I played my new piano.

Jack, Jane, and Katie Anne took the trip with John to pick it up.  Jeffrey and I cleaned off the old one and took a few sentimental pictures.  Poor Jeffrey might be even more sentimental than I am!  We made a good pair saying goodbye to our old friend.  At least we knew it would be going to a good home...John's sister Annette took it in!  Shaun came up Saturday to help unload our 'new' one and take their 'new' one home.

 Jeffrey jumped right up on the truck to make friends with the new piano.  My heart stopped while they got lifted it off the truck saying things like "It's really not that heavy" with veins bursting out of their heads.  I think it looks nice and feels nice to play.  In a month or so after it's gotten used to it's new living quarters we'll tune her up again.

4 comments:

n8'swife said...

How fun! I remember when you got your piano. I need to play mine more and maybe I would replace it :)

mom said...

You really have a great piano. It sounds nice and that is so important, rather it's a old piano or new - they need to sound right.We are very happy for you

mom said...

Just a note - I should have said "an old" piano! Good grammar you know.

Montserrat said...

Hi Kathryn, you should be able to download the Symbol of Christmas file from here: http://www.4shared.com/document/iX2vwo5C/The_Symbols_of_Christmas.html

The nativity set posts were on my Beehive Academy blog. I think you have access to that, right?