Wednesday, April 3, 2013

It's a ZOO out there!

Again...this all took place while Jack was on a fun family adventure. (See next post)
 Just not OUR family.
We decided to have some fun of our own, seeing as how John still had a job and all.
After swimming lessons we headed to Salt Lake. We ate a picnic lunch in the parking lot of This is the Place, then walked across the street to Hogle Zoo.

Funny story that some of you probably read on Facebook...
Katie Anne got upset at me during lunch because she really wanted her jam on the top of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and it was on the bottom!!!  Luckily, I had some magic kept in reserve for such a time as this.  I turned the sandwich over.  Wahlah.

We were so enamored with this baby (actually toddler at 3 years old) elephant.  The zookeeper was out answering questions when I asked what might have been a dumb question (though I've been told there's no such thing).  I asked how the behavior  between the young elephant and the old elephant differed.  Quite honestly they were both doing the same thing...just wandering around!
She said the young elephant sometimes throws temper tantrums...laying down and throwing her feet into the air.  Now that's something I'd like to see!

Monkeys and Gorillas are always fun to watch.

We like these little monkeys!

Lots of creatures...even a polar bear!
Though after a while I wanted to trade places with the rhinos...
A nap sounded pretty good!

And then, the giraffes.  I love the giraffes with their knobby knees.
Did you know a baby giraffe is born 6 feet tall!

After the Zoo we found a Little Ceaser's and took it to Sugarhouse Park.  We laid out our blankets not too far from a lake filled with birds.  We opened our pizza boxes and every single seagull took off from the lake and circled above us in the air.  SCARY!  I didn't want to be attacked or pooped on! 
See all those little white spots?  Birds!  Trust me, this does not do it justice.
We played at the nearby play area for a while. 
 
We headed to REI for what we thought would be a browsing hour (or two) but the store closed just a few minutes after we got there.  Don't worry, John managed to spend the money burning a hole in his pocket!
 

No comments: