Thursday, April 10, 2008

I can make you think!

There's a show on TLC called "I Can Make You Thin" but every time I see it on our preview guide I think it says, "I Can Make You Think". When I first read it wrong I thought, What a great idea for a show. Nobody takes the time to really think anymore. We live in a noisy world between t.v., radio, ipods, mp3 players, cell phones, computers, etc. We actually rarely need to use our brains for any thing really. I saw a guy on a talk show (see...I'm not always using my brain either!) who studied areas of the world where people seem to have a really long life span. Most of the people in his study, and this is no surprise, exercised, ate healthy, and meditated. I for one could use a little meditation. It seems that even my mommy brain has turned to mush. I forget to do things that I used to take such pride in remembering to do. I can't think right off what they are, but I know it's true! I rush through my whole day trying to get all of these little things done. My theory is that if my rooms are clear of junk, my mind will be clear of junk. However, when I do the rounds of the house several times I am too tired to think so I, you guessed it, zone out to the above list (except for the ipod, which I do not own). I wonder if I will ever feel that I can think about serious things again. Not that dirty dishes, full laundry baskets, poopy diapers, and crumb littered kitchen floors aren't serious! But what of my salvation!!! I am hoping that there is some kind of mushy brain exception at judgement day. I think there is, it's just called, "Just do your best and I'll do the rest". Anyway, I think it would be a great idea to have a show called, "I Can Make You Think". There are lots of important subjects to dwell on. I just can't think of any right now!

7 comments:

n8'swife said...

Gotta love that Martha Stewart show!! I saw the same episode but thought - why in the world would I want to live to be over 100! I think by that time I'll be ready for the next life!! I might think differently in about 70 years!

Amy said...

So before I became a mother I used to scoff at all the mothers and their "chatting" about diapers, vomit and such. Now, although I complain about my mushy brain progression, I am so thankful to be in this group of women. I figure what doesn't come back to me wasn't that important to begin with!

I really missed your blog lately. I've checked in daily worried about you. I'm glad that you are okay and posting such deep and enlightening topics. I won't even require that you make a Thursday Thirteen list for the Thursday you missed... I'm giving you a freebie!

hickenmargaret said...

It's not easy to think at age 69!!! You would think because I don't have the little baby, toddler, and school age kids that I could meditate and be able to think more about judgment day! Well, you might as well start thinking now, because it doesn't get any easier. Mom

Marissa said...

I often lament that I am not smart anymore - it seems the daily toil of laundry, dishes, and clutter somehow deletes the thinking cells. However, when the kids are asleep and you go in to check on them before going to sleep for yourself, sit on their bed for a moment and look into their beautiful, quiet faces. You will feel peace. You will know you remember everything that is truly important - love.

The HousewifeTravels said...

You're the smartest thinker I know. Even with the mushy brain.

Merry said...

Even though I have the mushy Mom brain I am surprised at how well my mind remembers all the things I am responsible for. Maybe because I was never scholastically gifted... I feel empowered as a Mother and Wife because of the truths and guidance we receive from our church leaders and the scriptures. True I do feel a lack of learning about a lot of worldly things, but our focus is in the right place (our family and our salvation) and that is right for this season in life. Your doing great! Keep at it!

Sophie said...

Amen sister! You know, just the other day picked up my Ornithology book that I used in college. I read the introduction and found it to be fascinating! It worked my brain in a different way again. I've made a goal to just read a little in that book once in a while to satifsy my "I'm still smart" side. You are awesome!