Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Let's talk Politics


I have been looking forward to Wordfull Wednesday to read what other people have to say, but more worried about what to write. I will say one thing, I will be glad when this election is over! It has gone on way too long. I am in favor of making candidates wait until at least the year of the election to start campaigning! I'm reading The Last Lecture right now and he had to go in for a checkup to see if his cancerous tumors were gone. He actually looked forward to finding out either way, because then he could move onto the next stage, whatever it be. I feel like we're in that mode and hopefully we won't find tumors!
I am a republican, and will vote as such. I will not attempt here to persuade you to think as I do, because if you are a republican, then you already know, and if you are not, then you will find issues with all of my arguments. That is the nature of politics! And my arguing skills are lacking and boy do I wish I had taken debate in high school!
Since we were actually supposed to have a topic to write about today, I will give a blurb about marriage, specifically Prop 8 in California. I am so grateful we lived there long enough to get a grasp on what this proposition is and to take a strong stand for marriage. The implications are the biggest part of it, with our children taking the brunt if it fails. Please pray for this to pass. We are not against the rights of others, but feel to protect our religious, personal, and family rights. To learn more please visit protectmarriage.com and this site from lds.org: newsroom. I am also including the Proclamation at the end of this post. We have kept our vote in CA this year, because we still own our home there, so that we can vote for this issue. And my ballot had better come TODAY!!! Crossing my fingers.
And in the end, I hope that our great nation can stand together. We need to stop watching all the gloom and doom of the media reports, and realize what a wonderful blessing it is to live here! Long live America!
The Family:A Proclamation to the World
We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.
In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny as heirs of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.
The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.
We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan.
Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.
The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.
We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.
We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.
This proclamation was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

10 comments:

n8'swife said...

Darn politics!! N8 and I will be so happy when it all done (as long as we win!). We think we might have to have a post election party.

Montserrat said...

I hope you get your ballot too! The thing that disturbs me is that Californians already voted for this once but because of just a few judges' opinions the voice of the people has to be heard again!

Verity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Verity said...

DITTO to everything you said!!! Thank you for sharing this!

theloulie said...

Amen to that! Hey a post party sounds fun.

Leslie said...

I love you!!

Thank you for keeping your vote there. They need all the help they can get.

I'm still waiting for my voter registration card to arrive, and am starting to wonder if I fell through the cracks.

Mommymita said...

I think in a way this debate has really strengthened a lot of us. We always read and believed the proclamation to be true but now we feel it - it has become something so real almost like a tangible truth.

crabapple farm said...

I really loved The Last Lecture. I cried, but I still liked it. And yes. Long Live America.

Andrea said...

I totally agree. It is so great that you still get to vote in California.

just andrea said...

hey I just wanted to say THANKS for the help to get my video posted!! Now you can watch it with ease and pleasure!