Before I begin...I was the winner of last months Wordful Wednesday drawing! I won this fun assortment of soaps, chapsticks, and a lotion. I have tried them all, but I think the Milk & Honey Almond is my favorite. They come from Cottage Garden Therapies. Thank you, Cocoa!
And now for my post. Cocoa did it again...an impossible question to answer for Wordful Wednesday! Here it is:
Favorite Genre and Adult Book." Tell us what you most enjoy reading: historical fiction, biographies, sci-fi or fantasy, mysteries, romance, etc. Then tell us about one or two of your favorite books in that genre. Hopefully we'll all find some new books to try!
Um, one or two? Seriously? I think everyone who participates in this will have, I don't know, a million ideas to share. Thank heavens, you can never have too many good things to read! Well, here goes... (And the books are linked to reviews/bios/blogs to let you do your own investigative work if you don't believe me!)
My favorite book is usually whatever I'm reading at the time. However... I do love Historical fiction when it's done right, like any of the Irving Stone (author) books that I've read.
I also like books that make me feel empowered to enjoy life and try to be who I really am. I liked Plain and Simple and Everyday Sacred, both by Sue Bender. Wish I could read these in a book club!
And for make me feel good reading, but also with a little excitement, I love Shannon Hale's books. I am rereading Princess Academy as I write this, although by the time I post this, I'm sure I'll be at the end! (and I know she writes 'young adult' books, but 34 is kinda young!)
I hope everyone's read The Persian Pickle Club, and the Poisonwood Bible, and Anne of Green Gables, and at least the first few books of The Mitford Series. As for one of the longest books I've read, I strongly recommend The Count of Monte Cristo. And, I have to say, I really appreciate the Book of Mormon for a good read. I love the different styles of writing, the depth of characters, and that it's the word of God! I am also reading The New Testament right now and can say the same for it, and for all the scriptures!
My favorite book is usually whatever I'm reading at the time. However... I do love Historical fiction when it's done right, like any of the Irving Stone (author) books that I've read.
I also like books that make me feel empowered to enjoy life and try to be who I really am. I liked Plain and Simple and Everyday Sacred, both by Sue Bender. Wish I could read these in a book club!
And for make me feel good reading, but also with a little excitement, I love Shannon Hale's books. I am rereading Princess Academy as I write this, although by the time I post this, I'm sure I'll be at the end! (and I know she writes 'young adult' books, but 34 is kinda young!)
I hope everyone's read The Persian Pickle Club, and the Poisonwood Bible, and Anne of Green Gables, and at least the first few books of The Mitford Series. As for one of the longest books I've read, I strongly recommend The Count of Monte Cristo. And, I have to say, I really appreciate the Book of Mormon for a good read. I love the different styles of writing, the depth of characters, and that it's the word of God! I am also reading The New Testament right now and can say the same for it, and for all the scriptures!
And if you need a good laugh, and I mean rolling on the floor, read The Vicar of Nibbleswicke by Roald Dahl. My aunt read this aloud to us, and I thought we'd all die happily of laughter. Hope it's your style, too. (not really for little kids, read it through for yourself first!)
I am very excited to read everyone's posts on this. I hardly ever read a book that wasn't recommended to me and look forward to adding lots to my list! I think I missed the mark on only 1 0r 2, but it's like asking me to name what kind of food I like best! There's just too many categories to bite into! (And books and food definitely go together, right!)
I am very excited to read everyone's posts on this. I hardly ever read a book that wasn't recommended to me and look forward to adding lots to my list! I think I missed the mark on only 1 0r 2, but it's like asking me to name what kind of food I like best! There's just too many categories to bite into! (And books and food definitely go together, right!)



12 comments:
Thanks for all the recommendations.
I also still like reading L.M. Montgomery and I didn't mention this in my post but in the last 10 years I've re-read The Story girl twice to keep me a kid again. I still laugh out loud when reading it.
I'm going to check out The Vicar of Nibbleswicke now because I'm in need of some good laughing to share with my kids.
Love the Irving Stone's! Love is Eternal is my favorite. Also love Poisonwood Bible. I've read that one three times at least. Count of Monte Cristo was my Grandma Winnie's most favorite novel. I've intended to read the Mitford series many times since you recommended them to me years ago. I guess it's time now. I love books. And I love reading. Can't imagine life without it!
That's a great list! There are several on there that I have not yet read. I'll have to check them out.
One of my all-time favorite books is The Education of Little Tree.
I love historical fiction that's done right, and I'm finding that I love the young adult sci-fi or fantasy genre (like Harry Potter.) Right now, I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of the fourth book in the Fablehaven series!
Books are great!! And you've got a lot of great ones on your list! I might have to check out the Irving Stone books... :)
Lots of wonderful book recommendations! I love historical fiction too. It's my 2nd favorite.
What a great list! Most of them are new to me so I will have lots of good new things to read. Hooray! I too listed the Mitford series in my list. Isn't it wonderful?
Yea! I love "highly recommended"s!
Thanks for the suggestions.
What a fun list, and such variety...and now my list is much longer...thanks!
We love Road Dahl at our house! I used to think he was just plain funny, but then I read his two bio's, Boy, and Flying Solo, and he writes so touchingly about his mother's kindness and love to him. It really rounded him out for me.
I have read (and liked!) almost all of these, but there are a few I haven't that I can add to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendations!
I agree with you about reading the scriptures everyday...they leave a bigger impression on my heart than anything else.
The Persian Pickle sounds interesting tho!
Sue Bender's books sound interesting. I am glad you thought to include the scriptures. They are a daily necessity for survival.
Post a Comment