Wordful Wednesday: May, the time for flowers, celebrating mothers, school winds down, and summer begins!There are so many topics to choose from for our Wordfull Wednesdays this month but I surely can't pass by the opportunity to write about mothers seeing how Sunday is Mother's Day. So break out the tissues, take a trip down memory lane, and next week, Wednesday, May 13, write a post honoring mothers - your mother, your aunt, your grandmother, your friend, any good woman who has mothered you in your life.
In an effort to keep the tears a little bit at bay, I will approach today's assignment as a list. Yes, as a list. It's what I'm good at, and yes, I did learn that from my mother.
Education: It was never a question of whether I would go on to further my schooling, and it actually was never a question of what I would go in to. My mother, and her mother, and her mother were all teachers. It's in my blood! I also learned from these women that education is NEVER over. My little grandma, who lived with us for the majority of my growing up years, was always reading and listening to talks, watching the news, and working her brain. Let me just say, that I think Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune can really help! :)
Church: Same as above. No question what the women in my life believed, because they lived it. But, I do remember one time, asking my mom a series of who do you love more, me or _____. I admit it bothered me for a minute that she loved Heavenly Father the most, but I quickly was grateful for that. It was a lesson for me to learn then, and I'm glad I did. He should be first!
Keeping up Appearances: My mom is one classy lady! She loves heels and can really get fancied up. She always looks nice for church. She loves a little jewelry, but her wedding ring is my dad's old class ring melted down. I did not inherit a love of heels, but I do want to look nice!
Humor: Because my mom always looks so great, it's hard for some people to reconcile that the classy lady is so darn funny! It helps if you keep her up late at night. But, and I hope she doesn't kill me for this, I think one of the funniest things she has ever done was at my house in California when she went down the kiddie slide into the pool...in her PAJAMAS! And then she sat in the pool for a time, while the kids played around her. My grandma was pretty funny too. She used to say, "That may be that a hen might pee, but it's not very likely!" I don't really get it either, but she would always crack up at that, so I did too.
Physical Fitness: My mom has always walked for fitness, and when I started riding the bus to high school we would see her bopping along to her walkman. She also had a bike with a big basket on the back where I would sit (when I was much younger of course, not like it was last week or anything!).
Hard Work: I come from a LONG LINE of hard working women. I sometimes wish I had the drive they did. I could go on and on about the things they've accomplished under very trying times, but I won't. I just want to say, that they also knew the value of a nap, and this I did inherit!
Finally, Endurance: Now, as an adult, I can look back at some of the things my mom has gone through, and it's amazing she still has her faith and sanity. She has endured the death of a baby, terrible health issues after your's truly was born, caring for her aging parents in her home while still caring for her own children in various stages of life, and carrying out our weddings, serving a mission, and being a wonderful grandma.
I'm sure I could go on and on, but these are a few of the things that are my mother. I'm grateful for her! What quality did you learn the most from your mom?



9 comments:
You have one great mom!!
I truly love your mom! All those Crook sisters are amazing, classy, and funny.
Good thinking to use a list format! Your mom sounds like a real gem.
I love Margaret. All these things are so true. She is a remarkable lady.
Your mom has always been my favorite aunt. (don't tell my other aunts) Maybe it's her WONDERFUL sense of humor, maybe it's her energy and love of life, maybe it's her ablity to remember little details about people that help them to feel special. She's a great lady.
what a fantastic post! I am so lucky to be in the family!
Thanks, Kathryn, I really don't deserve all the great things you said about me.....but WOW !!!! Thanks.
I love your post and it was fun reminescing about your mom. She has always been a favorite of mine too... but then I say that about all of my Aunts. I love her cooking too and you didn't even mention that. She can make a big meal out of nothing in no time. (another Crook trait).
Your mom is great! Isn't it great to have such wonderful moms. I don't know what I would do with out mine.
Post a Comment