Nearly every Sunday at some point in the getting ready for church preparations somebody says in some southern drawl..."Goin to church".
Some days I wonder why I go to church. I mean, I sit with my head down between my knees getting a book or a snack or a crayon or a tissue out of the church bag...all in an attempt to keep the kids reveren/quiet so I can listen to the speakers. And although it hasn't happened too much lately, I have spent my share of time in the hall trying to calm a crying baby, or a crying toddler, or, a few times, a crying me.
Same thing during Sunday School and Relief Society. So why do I go? Because when I do hear a snippet here or there, and I get something out of it, it's totally worth it! I experienced a whole 3 hours of it today. (That's another thing...3 hours is a LONG time to go to church. It turns a lot of people off. Believe me, I had plenty of people on my mission say "THREE HOURS?" But back to today...I felt totally inspired from one meeting to the next. In Sacrament meeting our bishop spoke on not being offended. At treating others a little nicer and remembering that when offense is given, we don't need to perpetuate the problem.
In Sunday School we learned (again...there's a lot of repeating of lessons because there is so much to learn!) about Adam and Eve. We talked about the eating of the fruit, the conversation they had before heading out of the Garden of Eden, and then the feelings Adam and Eve had. They still had recollection of living in paradise, of living in a perfect world, and this is what they thought:
And in that day Adam blessed God and was filled, and began to prophecy concerning all the families of the earth, saying: Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God. And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient. (Moses 5:10-11)
They were happy! It is a reminder that we are here for a reason and it is to have joy! I love it.
In Relief Society, our Stake leaders spoke. One of the questions posed is, How has Relief Society blessed your life. I teared up. I have always LOVED Relief Society. I must admit that the move here was much, much harder than I had anticipated. I was not prepared, though I thought I was, for making new friends and trying to fit in and all of that stuff. I felt like a little girl, instead of a woman. The only place I really felt like things would be o.k. was in Relief Society. And it is o.k. and I am so grateful for it.
So, going to church IS a good thing, and I'm thankful for it.
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Goin' to church...
Labels
random thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Ahhh, I remember the days. How nice to have one perfect day to remind you what it can be like.
Our lesson in Relief Society partially answered your question. It is from Elder Bednar's conference talk:
As our sons were growing up, our family did what you have done and what you now do. We had regular family prayer, scripture study, and family home evening. Now, I am sure what I am about to describe has never occurred in your home, but it did in ours.
Sometimes Sister Bednar and I wondered if our efforts to do these spiritually essential things were worthwhile. Now and then verses of scripture were read amid outbursts such as “He’s touching me!” “Make him stop looking at me!” “Mom, he’s breathing my air!” Sincere prayers occasionally were interrupted with giggling and poking. And with active, rambunctious boys, family home evening lessons did not always produce high levels of edification. At times Sister Bednar and I were exasperated because the righteous habits we worked so hard to foster did not seem to yield immediately the spiritual results we wanted and expected.
Today if you could ask our adult sons what they remember about family prayer, scripture study, and family home evening, I believe I know how they would answer. They likely would not identify a particular prayer or a specific instance of scripture study or an especially meaningful family home evening lesson as the defining moment in their spiritual development. What they would say they remember is that as a family we were consistent.
Sister Bednar and I thought helping our sons understand the content of a particular lesson or a specific scripture was the ultimate outcome. But such a result does not occur each time we study or pray or learn together. The consistency of our intent and work was perhaps the greatest lesson—a lesson we did not fully appreciate at the time.
Hurray for really good going to church days!
My sentiments exactly... only I only get to do the Sacrament Meeting thing (head between the knees, shooting dirty looks to my teenagers for eyeing the girls, making faces at their friends, and then now and then I have to stick my finger in someone's ear to wake them up) THEN I get to go play the piano in Primary... and don't get to go to SS or RS, which I LOVE SO MUCH and MISS GOING. I am trying to have a good attitude and try and feel the spirit in Primary and learn something there every week too. Why is all of this accompanied by a headache EVERY SINGLE WEEK? In the end though, when I reflect on my experience at church each week, I have learned something, felt the spirits, and know it is worth it too.
I really liked this post Kathryn. I laughed out loud when you mentioned that you spend most of sacrament meeting with your head between your knees finding things to occupy children. I feel the EXACT same way. But I love church too. Some days are better than others but I would miss it for the word.
I'm in Primary so I don't get to go to Relief Society, but I do love it too. Someday maybe I'll get to go again.
All I can say is, I love church! I can't make it through the week without it. Now that the kids are a little older, it is much easier to eat of the feast that is there each week. Amen sister!
Post a Comment