Today is Wordful Wednesday...
What are the 3 most important things in marriage?
When I was a little girl I might have said 3 very different things. 1. Somebody tall...not so necessary! 2. Somebody rich...well, someone who makes enough for me to be a stay at home mom is just fine with me. 3. A returned missionary. (I revised this while serving my own mission...an HONORABLY returned missionary, meaning someone who is NOT proud of all the stuff they 'got away with', but someone who tried hard, did their best.)
These are the 3 I came up with today, after being married for 11 1/2 years!
1. Love of God, love of the Gospel.
We both have a desire to be an eternal family, we both have a desire to do what is right. We have relied on our Father in Heaven as we have made big and little decisions. We talk about these things with our children. We know we are each responsible for ourself, but that we can help each other along, to try and be better, to reach higher, do better, be happier. I love our time at the end of the day when we kneel together and talk with Him about our concerns and gratitudes in our life.
"Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities." - the Proclamation on the Family
2. Trust
I never worry that John will slander my name or talk about things that are just between us. I always know that he loves me, and I always know that he has my best interests at heart, that he will never do anything to hurt me. (Read Trust in Your Marriage)
I never worry that John will slander my name or talk about things that are just between us. I always know that he loves me, and I always know that he has my best interests at heart, that he will never do anything to hurt me. (Read Trust in Your Marriage)
3. Togetherness
"Let's get together...yeah, yeah, yeah!" If you want to stay together, you have to do things together! While we struggle to get in our date nights, we do try hard to have some time to just be together every day. Now don't get me wrong. We each have our own hobbies and things we like to do alone, but we do try to do one or two things together! Sometimes togetherness is a look across the table, holding hands for a second during the sacrament, a phone call in the middle of the day. Taking care of the kids together, or doing a job is also great. I think, though, that laughing together is one of the funnest, togetheriness things to do, and I pledge here and now to try and laugh more!
What are your 3 important things?
Matt Townsend on KSL radio has some great marriage advice if you want to read some of his articles.




6 comments:
I love your thoughts about togetherness. If we had to wait for that "alone" moment...haha, but being together in the moment, now that's sweet.
I am with Esther.
Creativity is often involved when we set aside together moments. With my husband's schedule, it is nearly impossible to catch some alone time! So, we utilize modern technology with google chat! It really works, let me tell ya!
You mean I actually have to spend time with HIM??? What a novel idea---how come we, as a society have forgotten that very simple truth?
Isn't it interesting how similar all of the posts are?! I do love the togetherness point. It is all too often missing in this day and age! Great post.
Lol, we do think along the same lines. :D I love how your togetherness includes just a look across the table. Sweet.
Your thoughts on Trust speak volumes about marriage success.
I also liked your togetherness ideas. Sometimes the look across the table gets me a wink...which makes my evening! :)
Post a Comment