Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thursday Thirteen...Sunday Nights

When I was growing up we ate our fancy Sunday dinner immediately after church, no matter what time we went to church. My mom is not only a fantastic cook, she's very, very fast. So, we always had a nice roast or chicken or whatever it might be for our Sunday dinner. But at some point during the evening hours, we would be hungry. So what did we eat? Popcorn. A lot of home popped popcorn. As a side note, our popcorn pan looked pretty bad, because we never washed it, which is actually very important to making a great batch of popcorn! The lid never fit and it was always so exciting when it started to pop. I have an old pan with a lid that doesn't fit, so I make a pretty good batch of popcorn.
But I digress...
On occasion, we too have popcorn for our Sunday night dinner, but there are a few other things on our list:
1. Scones. Filled with butter, honey, jam, pretty much anything!
2. Jello and toast. Did I mention we had Jello...every Sunday growing up? We aren't quite as good at that, but we do have it and it is good for a treat at night with a little bite of toast.
3. Peaches (or pears or applesauce) and toast. Also very good.
4. Big Chips. Just fry up some corn tortillas and you've got some good stuff, baby. I didn't say these were healthy options! Dip in refried beans or salsa and sour cream.
5. Tostadas. Did you know you can buy big chips already made? They are just crisp corn tortillas sold in a big bag by the other tortillas. Open a can of refried beans, spread on tortilla, top with cheese and cook under a low broil.
6. While you've got the broiler thought on...cheese on toast is fantastic, especially on French bread or homemade bread. Get those peaches out again!
7. We've also been known to have granola bars dipped in applesauce, though that's not the most filling dinner.
8. Scrambled eggs...as long as you didn't have that for breakfast!
9. Cold Cereal...see #8!
10. Frozen pizza/burritos/fish sticks
11. Go to your moms or your mother-in-laws
12. Or maybe the neighbors...don't you think we should all be getting together more?
13. Homemade lunchables...cheese, crackers, cold cuts...and a little cookie. Nice!
So, what do you eat for Sunday 'dinner'?

5 comments:

n8'swife said...

Popcorn was always a main staple at our house on Sunday evenings and so was jello. I still make jello almost every Sunday.

Jill said...

I still like to have my big Sunday meal at regular dinner time, so our lunch is similar to what your post suggests. We mostly eat cereal, cereal and more cereal, but latley I've been on a homemade bread kick. So in true "Johnson" style we eat A LOT of bread and milk. YUM!

Vicki said...

So I wonder if I'm a true Mormon. I haven't made jello for us to eat in YEARS. I do make it for funeral luncheons (if I'm asked to). I LOVE salads, but Jello leaves me cold (pun intended).

We have our big dinner at night - so those with different schedules can come.

Kerri said...

Reading your post made me feel like a kid again, when that big Sunday dinner just appeared on the table (kind of) and hot cheese sandwiches/frosted graham crackers/cold cereal were all appropriate food choices any time of day on Sunday. I haven't established such a carefree routine here yet, but I've got time.

Do you know how my family did Sunday dinner growing up? We were all assigned a portion of the meal that we were responsible to choose and prepare...Meat, side, bread, veggie, fruit, staple, dessert, etc. That way, the load wasn't all on mom (though she sure helped all of us where needed) AND there was always something that each kid liked so no more complaining. I thought that was pretty, cool.

mom said...

I didn't know I was setting all those traditions! I know it's crazy, but I still make jello every Sunday - Dad likes it with a piece of toast and chips - so do I. I have made dinners for the last 2 Sundays in the crock pot and so when Dad gets through with his church duties, we have something to eat pronto. I can still get a good meal in nothing flat! Grandma used to say, "We're ready to eat already". She shouldn't have been that surprised, I've always been fast getting a meal on - could it be that I am hungry?