Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My great idea...

So, way back at the end of January I decided to make hearts out of the left over candy canes. They turned out so cute...but what to do with them? I decided to hang them on the little trees I had left up (on purpose) on my front porch. I added a few little heart boxes and called it cute, because it was. I was surprised to find out some interesting things about candy canes, and their reaction to the elements. First of all, the red is a secondary color, and drips right off when cold, creating nice, blood colored pools at the bottom of the tree. Gives new meaning to the term "Bleeding Heart". Second, apparently, even though the trees were sheltered, just getting cold was enough to slowly dissintegrate the canes. These pictures show the hearts significantly smaller than when I hung them, and now (several weeks after I took these pictures) the only trace left of them is said pools of candy cane blood. So sad. Maybe next year I can find somewhere INSIDE to put the candy cane hearts.

5 comments:

The HousewifeTravels said...

Love your Twilight inspired trees! Ha! P.s. Eclipse comes out the night before the beach! Make a stop in Ridgecrest so you can have the full effect of our craziness then we leave for the beach in the morning!

Jill said...

So funny. I have some trees on my front porch too. I wish I would have thought to decorate them for Valentine's Day! I remember for next time NOT to use candy cane hearts.

It looks like you all a had a good Valentine's Day. I hope so! Love you Kat.

Amy said...

Great idea! You know how I decorated for Valentine's day? I haven't put away the kids' valentines scattered all over the house!

Merry said...

That was a great idea! So funny!

mom said...

I couldn't imagine what was so dark red underneath the trees! I didn't dare look to hard.