Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Joke is on us...

This is the trick Mother Nature played on us this morning...
I tied the boys clothes in knots and hid toys in their shoes for their morning trick.  For lunch they got peanut, butter, and jelly sandwiches.  I also made clear koolaid to put in their water bottles.  They liked that trick quite a lot!  They were expecting more but I let them down. Maybe I can do more next year!  They were thrilled that I didn't make toothpaste oreos for them like I did last year...
And this is just a fun trick for you to try!  You buy 100% silk ties (think thrift store), cut them up and wrap the printed side around the egg.  Then you wrap that in an old cut up pillowcase, and boil the egg in enough water to cover the tops, plus 1/4 cup of vinegar.  I didn't wrap my eggs quite good enough so there were some white spots or smeared spots, but it was fun to try.  In this picture you can see the eggs above the tie they were dyed from.  I intend to try again!  There are quite a few sites to get the info from (just google silk tie dyed eggs), but here's the site I saw it on first: OurBestBites.  Have fun!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

n8'swife said...

I've never seen egg dyeing with ties! Great idea. We don't have time to get some for this year, but we'll have to try it next year!

Amy said...

Cool eggs! Sorry it snowed. Maybe we'll bring warm, humid weather back with us. You are clever to trick your kids. I lost all motivation for anything when I woke up with swollen eyes. Maybe I'll try the tie thing next year.

Braden and Cheri said...

I made tie dyed eggs this year too (love OBB!!) but I didn't take any pictures. So fun, huh?!

Jill said...

Those eggs are amazing!