Wednesday, April 7, 2010

deep thoughts by KJHA

In my bathroom on the windowsill I have a little sign I bought for $2.95 that reads, "Start the day with a joyful heart". Isn't that a great thought?  I have loved it and each day have felt a little joy leap in my heart as I read the sign.  "This is going to be a good day!" I would think.  I do have joy in my heart.

As I read it this morning I thought that maybe it needed to say something just a little different.  I start out (almost) each day fairly positive and joyful.  Sometimes that joy doesn't even last past walking out of my bedroom door.  The boys are being loud and waking the girls.  The laundry room catches my eye and I recall the loads needing to be done.  I head down the stairs and realize last nights dishes need taken care of (they might even be clean...but they still need taking care of!).  It's not long before I feel overwhelmed and just want to give up.  Or, I lose my patience when I've determined just moments before in my peaceful bathroom to not raise my voice that day.  But maybe if I could just create a little plan of determination I could maybe just do what I need to do to...

End the day with a joyful heart.

What do you do (or will you do) to end the day with a joyful heat?

6 comments:

Stacy said...

One of my friends in Indiana told me she had a sign posted that read "Try not to yell until after 10:00 in the morning". I took that to mean that even a little progress was worth working for. Eventually, there will be longer stretches of peace in between the moments of stress. Keep up the good work! I love your blog background - very fun.

Braden and Cheri said...

I didn't make it past 8:30 this morning without losing my patience. Sister Beck's comment about how losing patience with our children drives away the spirit really hit me. I know it does!! I wish I could find my patience, because I lost it about 4 years ago and have been searching for it ever since. I wish it weren't that way. So everyday is a process of searching for it again and hoping to get a little back minute by minute. I guess the important thing to try to do is treat each moment like its own separate entity instead of letting frustration build, or taking out our stresses on our children. If that made any sense. But I'm with you on that one!!

Leslie said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I always figure all the other mom's wake up with a smile on their face, and TONS of energy. They do two loads of laundry (washed, dried, folded, and put away), scrub their toilets until they're sparkling, serve their families a healthy well-balanced breakfast, and have everyone dressed, primped and where they need to be by 8:00 am. Then from there, how could their day go wrong??

On the other hand, my life doesn't quite turn out that way. I really need to try to end my day with a joyful heart also.

The HousewifeTravels said...

I love that this post is title "Deep thoughts" and starts with "in my bathroom" :)

n8'swife said...

For me I think it's more "have a joyful heart for at least a small moment of the day". I think taking moments to see the happiness and joy around us helps. I need to only read the news at lunch time. That way I can't dwell on all of the sadness/disaster/or stupidity that long!

Kat said...

I LOVE YOU! :) Sorry I haven't written on your blog for a while. We have been VERY busy selling our house and moving. In fact we are moving this Saturday. I am so excited to see you this weekend though! :) I've truly missed you and your smile.