Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mother's Day is coming...

And I am feeling like this will be a good year.  Some years, I have let the guilt of un-done motherly things drive me to the brink of despair.  But this year, I think I'm going to be o.k. (though in typing it I fear a jinx...).
Anyway, last night when I went to tuck my babies in before I turned in myself, I found 4 beautiful kids and I thought to myself, I am happy.  Here is what I saw:

My baby snuggling her baby.  Jane received this baby doll the year Katie Anne was born.  I used to stumble on this baby laying in the middle of the floor and panic (albeit briefly) that someone had left my own newborn just anywhere.
Then I turned to her sister and saw cute little Strawberry peeking out at me.  When Jack turned 5 we had a party with his little friend Jasmine.  Jack's half of the party was "The Incredible's" and Jasmine's was "Strawberry Shortcake" so when I found this little doll at a garage sale I picked it up.  Who knew it would be THE DOLL for Jane to snuggle with and cling to when nights are long.
But the fun doesn't end there...Jeffrey's other hand is a top a bear and 2 bunnies, but the prize is there next to his heart.  Many Easter's ago we visited my brother and his fabulous wife, Elaine, who bought little bunnies for all the kids.  Jeffrey quickly took them for his own, and this one hardly has any stuffing left, but is the favorite forever.
Jack was never really attached to anything until Jeffrey took over the bunnies.  He now has a variety of 'buddies'.  The three you see in the picture were picked up at the annual Christmas parades in Ridgecrest.  The Salvation Army handed out stuffed animals and these are 3 of our lucky ones. The rest have found better homes somewhere! (donated to Good Will...hope they don't mind!)

I didn't get a picture of my snuggler...he was still at basketball. 

Anyway, I couldn't help thinking of Robert Munch's Love You Forever book (2 seperate links).  I won't re-tell the story here because you either know it or you SHOULD know it so go and get it.  The thing is, the story feels a little truer every time I read it, and I'm glad to be a mom.  When they're asleep, and awake!

4 comments:

Vicki said...

What beautiful children! You really need to get a picture of your sleeping husband to add to the collection. Maybe you could sneak a basketball next to him.

What wonderful times! I'm glad you are enjoying your times as a mother of young children. One day you will wake up and they will all be gone. Truly, "The days are long, but he years are short."

Verity said...

Loved this! I'm not too worried about the hoopla of Mother's Day. Luckily I still feel pretty great about being a mother, most days, most of the time. :)

theloulie said...

Great post Kathryn! How did you get pictures without waking them up? I often feel very lucky to be a mom when looking at my sleeping cuties too.

n8'swife said...

What a cute post and cute pictures to go with it!!