Last week I had planned to make these cute little bird nests with the kids for Wacky Wednesday, but due to a lack of supplies I thought I had on hand and also a lack of energy, we went with using water color pencils instead. They are not messy, require little to no clean up or set up,everyone liked it, and we added to our spring decorations anyway! By prefacing it with "There is only one color of each pencil so we have to be so nice and share" we did all right!
I showed them the two ways to go...one is where you color directly on the picture, then use a little water to sort of smooth it out. The other is to draw a nice patch on a scratch paper, then dip your wet (but not too wet!) paint brush in the color and paint as you would with any other water color. I think they all turned out fun. One of my kids isn't too hip on the artsy stuff. It's hard for him to not be able to get his hands to do what his mind can see (I for sure know how that feels! Story of my life!) but I'm proud of him for trying and not getting too frustrated.
Jane was upset about this same issue...I told her she could use them whenever she wanted and then maybe by the time she was big she would be as good as she wanted. She threw her paintbrush and yelled, "What if I never buy these when I'm big?!" Ummm....
Yesterday for Wacky Wednesday we flipflopped our evening and afternoon. Right after school we headed to USU here in Brigham to listen to some story tellers. The first one was an 8 year old little girl who performed Pinkalicious. She did a great job and remembered everything with out the book or cue cards start to finish. I don't know if I could do that! The next gal was in high school and recited Heckedy Peg which is a fun story about doing as your mother tells you. Two professors read the True Story of the Three Little Pigs. I was thinking while I was listening that I should have entered. I may not be a professional, but I'm a pretty good story reader (I'm not too good at memorizing so I'll have to see if that's required...). Anyway, it was a fun little activity. Our evening was then spent in practicing, homework, laundry folding...good times.




No comments:
Post a Comment