Wordful Wednesday gives me 10 minutes today to write about one of the following words:
Rebirth, renew, fresh, spring, wet, budding, growth, beginning, April, Easter Sunday, rabbits, eggs, April showers, lent, Jesus, traditions, holiday, candy, jellybeans, chocolate rabbits, baskets, resurrection.
Which one would you pick?
I already wrote about candy yesterday (Take a Peep!)
And I'm currently working on preparing my lesson for Sunday, subject is Jesus, and all the things we celebrate at this Easter season.
So what should I write about today?
This is very similar to the Easter basket I had when I was growing up. My mom, {we didn't really ever believe in the Easter Bunny}, put in those big giant sugary eggs, peeps that stuck to the artificial grass, jelly beans, and real eggs we had dyed the day before. Easter morning we would find a dress hanging in the door way, usually, and then we could search for our baskets. Thinking about it just now I don't know who hid the baskets! Something to find out... Anyway, we checked all the normal places first like inside the green t.v. cabinet or on top of it, behind the old orange winged-back rocking love seat, or perhaps behind the red chair in the parlor. If you were unlucky enough to have it hidden in the sewing room, you could be sure that your eggs were fresh but the rest of your candy rock hard from being in the coldest room in the house!
One time we were in Salt Lake on Easter morning. We had gone to general conference and stayed overnight at a hotel. Another mystery...I don't remember ever actually going to see general conference myself but perhaps my parents went to a session or maybe my dad and brother went to priesthood meeting together. I remember watching it on t.v. in the hotel room. Hmm...
On with the memory I DO have...the snow fell quick and heavy as we piled in the old green station wagon for the ride home Sunday morning. Conference was playing on the radio and we were a captive audience. My sister and I had the whole back of the station wagon to ourselves, plus a couple of suitcases. This is where we searched for our baskets that Easter morning! I remember mine being in the back corner behind one of the suitcases. I knew it was mine because of the socks that were in it. It's one of those times I felt all was right with the world...laying around unbuckled in the back of the station wagon, zooming down a blizzardy highway eating peeps.
Please don't call CPS on my parents!
BEEP! My 10 minutes is up! Thank you for joining me on this trip down memory lane. Please exit to your left.



5 comments:
:-) I love your station wagon memory. Those were the days, weren't they? No seatbelts. Great memories.
I'd love to compare my childhood memories to what really happened! I have trouble fitting the pieces together and filling in the gaps.
Fun memory! Sometimes I sure wish we could drive down the highway without wearing seat belts.....freedom!
Memory Lane is a great place to be!
It is so fun to remember those things that somehow stand out to us as we age. :) I love it!
Post a Comment