Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wonder Woman, and other dreams

I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be a homeschooler.  I know in general terms it's when a wonder woman takes on the entire education of her children.  I am no wonder woman, though I was a fan of her outfit.  I chose to send my kids to public school, and because of that we have the yearly wonderfully exciting day of freedom.  No, it's not the Fourth of July, it's

THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL.
This year we took pizza to the park where I sat at the picnic table with a blanket around me while the kids and a bunch of friends ran around having a very chilly water fight. 

When I was a kid about the only thing I remember about the last day of school was running home from the old elementary school just a block from my house.  I remember once my mom gave my sister and I money to get hamburgers at the Country Shopper up the street, which was actually a very big treat.

I loved summer...the days were long and filled with friends, Monopoly, Price is Right, doing a few jobs, Big Pops at the Jenkins, the candy store (also just a block from my house), and making my own summer school homework.  Seriously Ideal. 

So now I am the mom and trying to figure out how to make summer just as great for my kids.  The times they are a changin' and I'm not sure how to instill some of those free feelings while keeping total control of where they are and what they are doing at all times.  Are you hmmphing with a small grin?  I am.  It's impossible.  I'm glad they each have friends to play with who have nice active imaginations.  I'm glad they have friends who live close enough to the icee place to ride over and get one of their own.  I'm controlling the remote control and hopefully screen time around here will be, well, right before dinner when every one needs a break.  I hope to not only do fun things, but to enjoy them right along with the kids.  I'm hoping they will just do their jobs, practice the piano, and be nice to each other all summer.  Hey, a mom can dream can't she?

I'm hoping to take advantage like the homeschooler mom's I talked about earlier...to be wonder woman.  Maybe I'll even get some of those awesome boots, though the belt would probably come in a little more handy!

What are your plans for the summer?

No comments: