...Hopefully stays together!
Our family has a new hobby, and I have been reluctant to share it. Not because of what you'll think about it, but I am not sure what I think about it! I have to say I am not a big fan of guns. I have a pretty clear recollection of my neighbor losing an eye while cleaning a gun, and he got off lucky. I have very vivid memories of getting into my little gray Nova after work one day, turning on the radio, and being shocked and saddened by the news coming out of Columbine high school in Colorado.
So when John started talking about and then buying guns I was less than thrilled. He has had a gun since before we got married but only went shooting occasionally. He assures me this is because we lived in California. Here in Utah, it's much easier to A) buy a gun and B) go shooting for fun.
Then the kids got involved. They wanted to blow stuff up too! John took the three older sweeties, then I decided I'd better tag along and see for myself the safety rules and if they were even being followed (they were!) and what the big deal was. So, I've been a few times now and I have to say, blowing stuff up is fun! The kids are respectful of the rules and stay behind the line when they aren't shooting. They empty all the guns then all go down to the targets together to check things out.
We didn't eat as much zuchinni as we shot this year.
And we save every single milk jug...about 4 a week...



4 comments:
Livin' up to the HICKen name there. That photo of Jane invokes a memory of a video I once saw where a cute little girl was singing a white supremacy song her racist family had taught her. I can't get over the ick of guns. I need to know how to shoot one but can't seem to get to where I think it's fun. You must have more Utah in you than I do.;)
You guys might enjoy the show Top Gun. In junior high, it was required of every student to take hunter's safety where we learned to shoot a .22. I'm not a huge fan of guns, but I would find target shooting fun.
Now that looks like fun! I remember doing the same thing for FHE when growing up. I am a pretty darn good shot too!
Not Top Gun, Top Shot! Sheesh.
Post a Comment