Monday, September 26, 2011

I {heart} podcasts

Way back on my birthday in July (missed it? That's o.k. I'll still take good wishes, as long as there's chocolate involved...) back to the point...John gave me an ipod. While I love music I was really hoping I'd find a way to make it more worth his hard earned mulah. I downloaded Angry Birds, but that just made him wish he hadn't bought it! (Still can't pass that darn last winter level on the seasons version...). I got all my contacts loaded in, downloaded the scriptures, and started listening to more music. But, what I really love about it, is the podcasts. What a treasure trove of good listening! Here are a few of my favorties...

These is so much good stuff on here, and I'm betting even if you aren't mormon you'll find something good to listen to. I really like Enduring It Well, where the host talks to people who have been through something hard, and how they have gotten through it. My other favorite is Everything Creative, where they talk to people who have lived a creative life, and how they did it. With both of these I come away feeling more inspired than guilty, which is always a good thing. They have instructions on there about how to download to itunes. You can also get everything on the Mormon Channel app, but my ipod doesn't have internet all the time so I do the download thing.

This is a really funny news game show. I know, don't judge. If you've heard it you probably liked it. So far nothing to be afraid of in recommending it to you. They have guest panelists who answer real and sometimes odd news questions about the last week. My favorite is when they tell 3 stories and the call in contestant has to decide which one is true. You can subscribe to this or just download it every week from itunes.
Each week they take a topic and tell stories about that topic. It's generally thought provoking, funny, and informative. Again, so far so good. Same deal to get it as Wait Wait...

{NO PICTURE...SORRY!}
We like to listen to stuff in the car and believe it or not we all love these stories. There's not a lot of bling to them, but so fun to just be read a story. I had a couple downloaded to try, and had the whole rest of a trip to go with the kids saying, why didn't you get more of those stories!

These are our most listened to, but I am quickly finding that I love Stuff You Missed in History Class (just downloaded 14 more episodes!) and Useless Information, which is truly not necessary to life but quite fun to listen to! I tried some of the Sesame Street stuff for Katie Anne, but the episodes are short and lots of commercials at the end. There are tons of parenting and family oriented podcasts as well.

As I type this I am trying to shush the nagging thought that y'all knew this already, but just in case you haven't, I'm here to help. What do you like to listen to?


3 comments:

theloulie said...

that looks like fun stuff to look up. W. likes the freakonomics podcasts. I have occasionally listened to This week in Mormons, of couple of single mormons guys who discuss things in the news about mormons-good or bad. For video podcasts try TED.com.

Vicki said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I listen to some of them live, but haven't used the podcasts. I'm going to have to give them a try!

Jill said...

I'm really happy that you posted all this information. I love my Ipod, also Ipad, and am always looking for things to listen to when I go walking or bike riding. Thanks for these suggestions. I'm going to get right on this!