Friday, January 13, 2012

I'm slow, but I'm steady

I promised this recipe to Dawn ages ago.  I'm sure she'll write me an email reminding me just how long it's been but that's o.k.  I've been busy!  Hope you all enjoy it!

Andes Mint Cookies  (recipe from Shanna L.)

¾ cup butter
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 Tablespoons water
12 oz bag chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 ½ cups flour
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 pound Andes mints, unwrapped

In small pan heat butter, brown sugar, and water until butter is melted.  Stir in chocolate chips until melted.  Pour into bowl and cool 10 minutes.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.  Will be stiff at first, but when incorporated looks kind of shiny.  Press plastic wrap down into bowl so dough is covered.  Chill in refrigerator one hour.
Roll into 1 inch balls.  Bake 350 for 11-13 minutes.  Remove from oven and place one mint on each cookie.  Let sit about a minute, then swirl mint around top of cookie with the back of a spoon.  Remove to cooling rack.  To speed up the setting of the mint, put in refrigerator or outside if it’s cold enough!

And because I love Pinterest AND you...I made these and they are definitely remakeable...

Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Makes 2-3 dozen

Ingredients:

½ cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoons baking powder
⅛ teaspoons baking soda
1-½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cups powdered sugar
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease light colored baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients slowly until just combined, excluding the powdered sugar. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly. Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.

Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte {not melty or shiny}. Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

*If using a non-stick darker baking tray, reduce baking time by about 2 minutes.
Lemon Crinkle Cookie by Lauren Brennan
LDS LIVING magazine, cookie contest winner

No comments: