This could be a very, very long post. But, in honor of all YOU have to do as a mother, I will try to keep it short and sweet.
Chocolate on my Cranium asks: Who has mothered you?
1. My mother, of course. But this post is asking about everyone BUT her.
2. My mother-in-law. She sees things from a different perspective which helps me see things differently too. She also raised John, and since my boys tend to be just a tad like him, it helps.
3. My sisters, including my sisters-in-law. They are all amazing mothers, and because of the wide range of ages between us I'm bound to get help with whatever stage I'm at.
4. My grandmothers. My mother's mother moved in when I was 8. She was able to teach me many things that were never spoken, but taught through actions. She taught me to be a life long learner, a forgiver, an interested party in those you love. She also gave me nickels from her cleaned out Jean Nate' powder box, lemondrops from the jar on the windowsill, and memories of one of the greatest laughs ever. See number 5.
5. My aunts. I have 12! They each have their own personalities and contributions to my life. One taught me family history, one kisses me on the cheek to this day, one took care of me when I broke my wrist, one told me stories. This is getting long, and I promised to not be long. I will say, that my mom's sisters have some of the greatest laughs EVER and teach me to see the lighter side of life.
6. Robin J. I spent most of my early childhood at her house with her daughter, my best friend Jessica. I learned what it was like to live in a home with the chaos of a bunch of little kids, something I didn't have at my own house as a kid. It helped me see that life was normal when I had my own brood of little ones. I still think of her whenever I see a kiddie pool or a Big Pop popcicle. One time we made her laugh so hard she wet her pants, but I had seen that before :).
7. Michelle and Vicky. I had great young women leaders, but these two hold a special place in my heart for helping me through a rough couple of years. I saw both of them the other night and I had the feeling that they STILL loved me, and that's the sign of a motherer, if you ask me.
8. Maureen Ward, my piano teacher. At the end of my day navigating the halls of highschool, I would walk to her house where she had a fresh batch of rice crispy treats and a listening ear waiting for me. She also pushed me to develop my talents. I wish I had not quit. Six words I hope to never hear my kids say.
9. The phenomenal women who are part of my life, whether they are through the 'kids at home' stage, in the thick of it right now, or who are looking forward to being a mother some day. You inspire me!
10. My own daughters have taught me so much about being a mother. They love their little dollies and I am reminded that while many aspects of mothering may not come naturally to me, the ability to love is a trait to be found in all of us, we just have to do it.
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Who has mothered me?
Happy Mother's Day!
Labels
Wordful Wednesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
So sweet! I'm so honored to have made your list. You are amazing!
I am constantly amazed at how much my daughters are teaching me about motherhood through their own interactions with their siblings. It is definitely inherent in their natures!
That is an amazing list! It makes me want to make a list of ":mothering mothers". You are an amazing mother yourself. Love you
You are truly one of my heroes! I love you, and feel so privileged to have been able to learn from you up close and personal! You have helped me to become a better person, just by being such an amazing example yourself!
Post a Comment