Sunday, June 3, 2012

Memorial Day Memories

For most people Memorial Day is about barbecues and first day of summer boating.  We go to cemeteries!  It's so fun.  Really.  As a kid I might have felt a little differently because, as my cousin Adam and I decided, we would be there for hours. (say that as drawn out as possible!)  However, we have these great memories of it and I have a knowledge of my grandparents, their parents, and even their parents!  It is pretty cool to feel that connection.

This year we started out at John's grandparents graves.  We visit their final resting site in a mausaleum.  I'll be honest, it was a little wierd at first but this visit the building was bright and sunny and didn't smell funny.  A very good experience to visit her and recall the amazing life she lived.
Next we headed to Heber.  Both sides of my family are quite intertwined so we had a lot of people to stop by and visit :).  We always clean up a little around the headstones and leave some flowers.  This Memorial Day was bright and sunny, though we've had plenty that were rainy and dreary.  I like the sunny ones the best, of course.  I came home sporting a nice burn.


The best part is being there with cousins and aunts and uncles, grandpa and grandma.  The cousins had fun playing and running. 
 
After the cemetary we headed to my Aunt Alice's for lunch and visiting.  The older kids had fun getting in a big tube and rolling down the hill, and the little girls had fun on the swingset and with the Barbie house thatI used to play with when I was little!  She's always been so fun.  I was happy to see some of my cousins and enjoy talking with them.

We finally left and headed to REI in Salt Lake for one of their biggest sale days of the year.  Jack is a growing boy and needed a new backpack for upcoming trips to the Windrivers.  I found a pair of shoes or two and John bought some pretty ugly water shoes that will save his feet at the beach.  While ugly, they are still better than socks with teva's!

All in all, a pretty good day.

1 comment:

The HousewifeTravels said...

Thank you for buying him water socks. Can't wait to see you.