Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Magic of 1, 2, 3

Friday Night

After a long week all we usually want to do on a winter Friday night is eat some pizza and watch a movie.  This week kept with tradition, only we started earlier than normal.  We ate our pizza (create your owns on pita crusts) and watched our movie (Here Comes the Boom) and danced through the credits like we like to do.  But...we still had time left before bed.  What to do...what to do...

I started counting.

ONE!

I got a few looks.

TWO!

People are on the move.

THREE!

John shouts out, "Everyone upstairs and hide!"

FOUR!

The running and the squealing commences.  I hear them running around and opening and shutting doors.  When I feel like they've had enough time I shout, "Ready or not, here I come!"  "Count to twenty!" is the reply.  I give them time.  I guess I lied, because I didn't stick to my promise of ready or not...

I run up the stairs singing a little ditty: "Oh where oh where can my family be..."  I look behind the bedroom door.  There's John. He didn't have time to hide too well.  He's always helping everyone else. I look in the bathroom and find Jane.  I find Jack in his closet.  Katie Anne is curled up in a ball under her covers.  Jeffrey is hiding under a pile of dirty clothes.  The torch passes and it is Katie Anne's turn to count.

I run to my room and John helps me hide under the pillows at the top of my bed.  I think about how much I love hide and seek when I can find some place to lay down.  I have hidden in cribs, under beds, and in messy unmade beds.  I guess I blend in with the lumps quite well! 

Katie Anne walks in the room and I hold very still.  She leaves and I hear the screams of excitement as she finds everyone else.  They all come looking for me.  I can tell that the boys are on to me but they let Katie Anne do the unveiling.  As she takes off the first pillow I sit up and roar, scaring them even though they knew I was there.  It is so fun.

We continue through the counters and through the house.  I help Jack get under the kitchen sink, hiding the garbage can in the garage.  I put Katie Anne in the closet and try to disguise her with coats.  Jane hides under a blanket in the corner. 

There are moans and groans when the parents determine it is time for bed for some cute little girls.  The game is over, but the magic lives on. 

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

3 comments:

Vicki said...

I love it!

The HousewifeTravels said...

You never wanna play hide and seek with Grace. She is insane

Verity said...

Love! I think we need to do this for FHE tonight. :)