Sunday, May 4, 2014

Two weeks to catch up on...

I didn't write last week.  Sunday morning I spent practicing my solo that I would be playing in Sacrament meeting that day.  I played Love at Home, my dad's favorite song (I think it is anyway... he always made us sing it at family night).  I felt pretty good about it going in.  In fact I was rather calm until just before and then I started shaking terribly.  I could barely run the pedal because my legs were running to a beat of their own.  I made it through with only 3 mistakes so I guess that is a good thing, and perhaps I'm the only one who really noticed them.

The day got busy after that. Church!  Nursery! Dinner! Nap!  John took Jeffrey and the girls to Agren dinner.  Jack and I stayed home and attended a Bishop's Youth Discussion on proper use of technology.  The statistics of interactions (accidental or not) with porn show that 100% of kids by age 16 have seen it.  And the age is dropping every single year.  It makes me SO MAD!  Keep my babies innocent and clean, please!

For Family night we went to Jardine's.  Taylor was about to leave on an adventure and we wanted to say goodbye.  For our lesson we each took a turn telling about a hymn or primary song that we love.  I drew attention to the sacrament hymn Reverently and Meekly Now.  Click the link to read these beautiful lyrics. Katie Anne ended our lesson time by singing A Child's Prayer. We were all touched by her performance.  She told me once that she loves that song because she knows that it's true.

What a long post without pictures... let's see some!

The third grade celebrated Arbor day with some excellent recorder numbers.  I'll never forget the beautiful sounds my college professor could put out of a cheap recorder.  This was different, but beautiful in it's own way.  They also recited some poetry about trees before heading over to the park to plant a couple!

I just love it when people spell Kathryn the right way the way I do.

I went to lunch with my long time friend Diane.  We went to Tai Pan after and I shot my wad while she shot hers.  I wanted to redecorate the tops of my kitchen cabinets.  Here is a fairly bad shot of one of them:
It is cuter in person and you are welcome to come over and check it out!  The other sections of cabinets are done as well.  COLOR!  I needed it.
 
 I wasn't in charge of decorating any teacher doors this year.  I just had the secretary's door:
(the S on express fell off... I found it later and it is now spelled correctly!)

the reading volunteer's door


and the Principal's door.  

I didn't make this one but I think if there was a contest I would have voted for it to win.  So cute and original!
Katie Anne had her first late night.  She and one of her BFF's Halli wanted to watch some movies and have popcorn.  I couldn't help myself and made up this little tray to take down to them while they watched some Studio C and Annie.  They also played air hockey and house and restaurant.  What sweeties!

 What do you all do on a Saturday night?  We are sometimes wrangled into attending shows.  Katie Anne used my flannel board figures to tell us a cute (and very long and detailed) story about a family waking up and going up or down the elevator to have some breakfast.  My mom made those flannel board figures for me when I was about Katie Anne's age and I spent hours in our parlor making up stories.  They are one of my prize possessions!
Our wacky Wednesday included a little walk around the block to deliver some items.  We stopped at the neighbors bridge to breathe in the delicious scent of the red tree there in the background.  A perfect backdrop for my two flowers.
(Would you like some crackers with that cheesiness?)

 On Friday I picked up my new prescription sunglasses.  I thought they were a little smaller but I still love them!  I like feeling like a movie star.  On Saturday I wore them when picking up Jeffrey from a birthday party so no one could see my smeared mascara, having just woken up from a nap.  Big is good.
I was on my way to have dinner with some of my Ridgecrest family.  In some cases it's been nine years since I've seen them and honestly it felt like no time at all had passed... we just had more to talk about!  I love these ladies!  Slowly people started to leave until just Merry, Emily, Misty and I remained.  We finally noticed that the lights were turning off and the chairs were all up on the tables and that perhaps Kneader's was closing.  We still had things to say so we walked over to Wendy's for frosties and fries until they closed about 11:30. 


I believe this statement by Marjorie Hinckley to be absolutely true:
“Oh, how we need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young. And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old. It is a sociological fact that women need women. We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other.”
I am so very grateful for the deep and satisfying and loyal friendships I have experienced from the many different chapters in my life, including my current one. Thank you ladies!


2 comments:

n8'swife said...

What a wonderful and amazing group of ladies in that picture!!

Jill said...

I need to start posting more like this, just what happened each week and not wait around until something big happens to write about. The simple things matter too (maybe most).