Friday, March 13, 2009

Deep Thoughts by Ima Nerd



So, I was doing a little cleaning today, when I had the thought that I really need to just think more. I happened to have this thought while scrubbing those awful little bolts at the bottom of the toilet. Perhaps I was trying to take my mind off of the job at hand. And a whole bunch of puns just flushed through my head but I'll tank 'em and stick to what ideas I had swirling around...

I just wanted to think about something and I realized I often don't think about anything. It's important to take time to think, and work that brain, and be observant of what's around us. I thought about a talk I had listened to that mentioned the commandment to be thankful. So...

I stopped for a minute to be thankful that I had indoor plumbing. I'm such a wuss and a gagger, that using an outhouse for an extended period of time would surely be the end of me. I mean, how did someone figure out the use of water and how to shape the pipes and all kinds of mechanisms used to make the thing work. It really is an amazing thing to have, and we usually take it for granted. Or we curse it, while cleaning those little bolts at the bottom. When really, it could be so much worse! My dad said that when he was growing up lots of people still had outhouses where he lived, and people would come over to his house before dances to use the indoor bathroom to shower up and get ready to go. Just one generation (from me) ago!

Today I got my Real Simple magazine in the mail sporting an article about, you guessed it, THINKING! (No, not toilets, although there is a section on cleaning...) The author gives 10 ways to be a better thinker. The few I like are FIRST: Take long showers. It's true, I've written some of my best poems in the shower. SECOND: Go ahead and daydream. It is fun, once in a while. Just can't get consummed by it. THIRD: Think about thinking. See, I'm a genius! And my toilet is clean.

I like to end these types of posts with a question...when do you take time to just THINK?! And when was the last time you cleaned your toilet? Just kidding. What is one ordinary run of the mill thing you are thankful for?

And, just so you know, you can find the history of the toilet, or toiletology, by clicking on the toilet above! Have fun! Betcha learn something!

11 comments:

n8'swife said...

You clean those little bolts!! J/K!! It's really terrible, but I take my time to think late at night while I'm trying to fall asleep and not! I think I need to find a better time to think, maybe I'd get more sleep.

I'm grateful for the toothbrush! Can you imagine all of that gross breath all around us!

Jill said...

I'm not going to tell you the last time I cleaned my toilet, but my favortie place to think is in the shower. It seems like I can't get any quiet time anywhere else. I also just finished a work book called 'Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life' which is all about mindfulness and how to think about thinking...loved it! This was a good post. It made me think!

Sophie said...

Lately my time to think is after the kids go to school. I have other short thinking sessions after lunch and just before bed when I'm writing in my journal. I'm thankful for church magazines. They have been cause for much thinking the past few months.

Desiree said...

Well, I don't do too much thinking. But sometimes when I'm saying my prayers my mind starts wandering and I get thinking about things I don't normally think about. Speaking of toilets, I am thankful for children that can clean the 4 toilets I've got in my house.

theloulie said...

I actually think that I think too much, not necessarily about anything deep. But its actually a relief to find ways to turn off my brain, and sometimes a requirement if I want to get any sleep.

Amy said...

Okay, I think a lot in the shower or when I am exercising. The rest of the time I'm reading... usually. Sometimes I think while reading and then I have to go back and reread because I completely glazed over it. Of course, it helps if I am reading Twilight for the 8th time and if I find my mind wandering (which happens more with scriptures than Twilight, I'm ashamed---but just a little---to admit), and then realize that I really don't have to go back and reread since I've read it so many times.

Which brings me to what I'm grateful for... Twilight and toilet reading! Sometimes I just lock myself in the bathroom with the pretense of really bad constipation just so I can read longer. So I guess I'm thankful for toilets too and door locks and Twilight. Together they make the most beautiful distraction! Think about THAT!

turning about said...

I think when I clean, I have written some great sermons in my head. Too bad I don't write any of them down, because that would just take too much time. And who has the time to write a website on toilets, I mean seriously.

Marissa said...

I am finding I have all kinds of time to think - ALL my kids go to school for at least part of the day. I am thinking more about what I can do to bless my family...I have more time, I want them to be happy. I am thinking about being a better person physically and spirtually. I am setting goals to use my new "free" time to be a better me! Love your blog - you are so fun. Happy thinking!

Verity said...

Hmmm...thinking. Does worrying count? Because I waste a whole lotta time doing that. :) I look forward to Friday mornings when we do yoga up at the church. I'm pretty relaxed then and seem to think more clearly, too. I liked Amy's trilogy of Twilight, doorlocks, and toilets. Boy, did that get me thinking. :) Oh, as far as "ordinary" things that I am very grateful for: books in general!

Merry said...

I think, I think too much! Thinking to myself is not so bad except that I tend to over think things and drive myself crazy! It's the thinking out loud that is the real problem. Sooner or later you say something stupid and you end up with PPD. (Post Party Depression) Than you think you shouldn't have said what you said, and you end up writing a sorry note for what you said. Which calls attention again to the stupid thing you said, that they had completely forgotten about anyway! See what I mean! Thinking can be dangerous!

Merry said...

Love your potty humor Kat!