Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tuesday Tips...fun at meal time

So, it's time for Tuesday Tips! This one I can credit mostly to my sister. When we were living with her she made lunch so fun for Jane that she actually ate! I know, miracle. So, if you have youngsters who might not want to eat, or if you just want to have fun yourself, try some of these.

The first thing, is that if the meal looks overwhelming to the kid, they aren't going to eat it. Stacy put Janes food in small dishes, like these little bowls. You can find them almost anywhere. She gave her the pretty glass ones and it made her feel so grown up. I know Walmart has some little dessert dishes that are pretty and plastic, if that works better for you. These little bowls also work great for dipping things, which kids also like to do. Jeffrey is the only one who ever has syrup on top of his pancakes, the rest just dip it into syrup, which, surprisingly, is not that messy! (They also sell little divided plates and that works good, too.) Another thing my sister did, was cut the food up into little pieces then gave Jane a toothpick to stab them with. And yes, I know, if your kids are more likely to poke their eye out than get the food into their mouth, then don't use this tip! But the small pieces makes things a little easier to eat more, believe it or not. It's fun to combine this with the little bowls, too.
And last but not least, play with their food. You don't need to get as elaborate as this little sandwich guy (I found him on google images under sandwich art...) but triangle sandwiches turned the right way with a long carrot down the middle is suddenly a butterfly! If you call food something different, it might just get eaten! (I do this alot on holidays.) It's also fun for the kids to play with their food...cracker sandwiches, apples and peanut butter, you know, stuff like that.

So, here's to happy eating, and feel free to comment on what YOU do to make meal time a little less like World War III!

7 comments:

Verity said...

Amen to the toothpick idea. That's definitely worked here. Another favorite is the almighty tortilla. We like to roll up yummy things inside them, or melt cheese in the middle and have "cheese triangles." I'm still looking for the perfect knock-off Lunchable container so that I could make "homemade" ones...

Leslie said...

So fun! I might have to try these tips! Mostly, we have WWIII, or I just decide that I don't want the battle, so I don't make them eat. We do often have dessert, but only for those who eat their dinner.

n8'swife said...

I might have to try some of those with Emma!! It's always a battle here, and I have no solutions!

Tauna said...

good tips. When Claire is a bit older I'll have to try out the toothpick idea. Here's something we did with Claire last night that worked great. For a couple months she has not been touching (except to drop on to the floor) the mixed vegetables that she used to love. But the last few times I've served them to her she picks them up one by one and mashes them with her fingers with dramatic energy like she's trying to wring the little souls out of them. Last night I told her she should try mashing them with her "super strong teeth" because they'll mash them even better than her hands and I showed her with gusto how to chomp em. Sure enough, each one went into her mouth (for the first time in months) and she mashed them very dramatically. I thought I had triumphed until a couple minutes later she spit out all the mashed up beans. But she did swallow all the corn, carrots and peas. Yea for veggies! I'm still amazed at the comprehension of a 17 month old.

Montserrat said...

Huh. Wonder why I never thought to try toothpicks??? GREAT IDEA!!!!!

The Funny Farm said...

I heard once that you have to introduce some food to a child 29 times (or some crazy number) before they recognize it as food and something they want to eat. The suggestion was just put it in front of them and say "carrots, yum" and leave it alone. All the battles, power struggles and excessive pleading and begging gives the child the POWER!!! aaaahhh!!!! Take the power back by not caring what they eat - only offer nutritious foods at meals and ESPECIALLY at snack time. They will eventually get what they need. The other tip was not to give them an endless supply of fruit juice/chocolate milk during the day... water is best. Otherwise they fill their tummy with sweet stuff and aren't hungry at meal time.

So many tips... so little time.

Ratliffs said...

I agree with the comment above. That is typically how I handle any meal time. I try not to make a big deal about what they eat, or don't eat. I do sometimes though, give them what they didn't eat at the last meal, at the next one. Especially if it's something that they usually eat with no problem. They don't get away from that at my house! Dip is another thing that we do occasionally. (Although I do monitor the amount.) I always remind myself of something that Dr. Kitty told me years ago: "They aren't going to starve themselves. When their really hungry, they'll eat." We also limit their milk. Milk is like a meal in itself. Good luck! I'm not a very creative person when it comes to eating food. It's food. I made it. You eat it. And that's that. :)