Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wordful Wednesday

Wordful Wednesday: Another difficult topic to narrow down! :)

Topic: Write about either a person or scene that has inspired you.

This could take all day, except that it says person or scene, and not all the people and scenes in the whole world! I have really struggled with what to write about. I have been influenced by so many friends, family, leaders, teachers, etc. It seems everytime I hear someones life story, I am amazed at what the human soul can endure, and in many cases, endure well.

But today, I decided, instead, to write about one of my favorite artists, Mary Engelbreit. I have had so many of her wall calendars, daily calendars, and cards that I have seen many of her pictures time and time again. Yet they are so delightful that I just can't help myself. She has a way of drawing the most pure and innocent of children, daily life scenes that capture what I have felt so many times myself, and the ideal qualities of life, that makes it seem actually possible to attain that high goal. I also admire her use of quotes, which I am a collector of myself. I have been inspired to be creative in my own way, using her pictures as my starting point. Here are a few samples of her work...






Did you enjoy these samples? Great! Now let me tell you a little about her. I read her biography (thanks for the book, Ruth Ann!) and had hoped to find it in the boxes still packed and could not find it. Here's what I remember... Mary always loved to draw. Always! When she was young it became clear to her parents that this was her passion, so they emptied out a little closet, put in a little desk and that became her first studio. (The act of the parents alone is inspiring.) She drew Anne Estelle, her most famous character, when she was 8. She went as a young woman to the neighborhood pharmacy and asked if she could sell some little cards at his store and she began to make money on her artwork. She dreamed of becoming a children's book illustrator, but when her efforts fell flat, she was encouraged to try greeting cards. This turned out to be her way in, and she did very well. But, there were those dreams still there, and eventually she began her own business. She has since become a children's book illustrator, and yes, I own quite a few! Basically, I chose her because she followed her dream, she developed and used her talents for good. She seems like someone we could all be friends with, and isn't that the best way to be?
I am thankful for all of the inspiring people in my life, both those I know close and those I admire from afar. Maybe I'll write about more of them some time.
*****I do have to give a shout out to John today...Happy Engage-a-versary!*****

8 comments:

Becky said...

I've always loved her "Anything is Possible" print.

So nice to hear a little bit about her. Thanks for sharing!

Montserrat said...

I bought a whole set of her posters about reading and education. They adorn the walls of our school room!

Jill said...

I LOVE Mary. She is one of my most favorite illustrators. Thanks for sharing this. I especially like the second sample and the quote.

Amy said...

Wow that was cool to learn more about her. Thanks for sharing that.

Esther said...

I've enjoyed her work without connecting it all together...good stuff. It all seems to match your blog too :)

Chaney said...

I just learned something new. I never realized that she illustrated childrens books. I've just seen her artwork around. I'm going to have to go look for those books now!

Jamie said...

I've seen the artwork before and have always enjoyed it. How great to know more about the creator of it all!

Kodelle said...

I love her work. Doesnt' it just lift your spirits and make you feel warm and fuzzy?