TRANSFORMATION
When we were looking at homes to buy this last go round we had a pretty definite idea of what we wanted. We would look at a home and see if it fit our needs, if we could change it to what we wanted, or if it was a hopeless case! When we bought this home we had both of the first two. It fit what we wanted, but we'd have to change a few things. We decided to add on a room, extend the deck, and finish the yard and the basement. So, I thought, how hard can this be. They build a room and we're done. Wahlah! (Stop your laughing.) Well, there's a lot more that goes into it than that. There's the foundation, and the framing, the insulation and the drywall. Electrical, mudding, taping, painting, and all this followed by visits from the inspector. Oh yes, the roof, and the blending it in to the rest of the house with ducting and such. Then there's the finish work and the carpet and we still have a few things that aren't done, and it needs a few pictures on the walls. So, in other words it takes a LONG time and a LOT of effort to change a thing or two.
So, isn't this how it is with personal transformation? Listen to this quote by C.S. Lewis:
When we were looking at homes to buy this last go round we had a pretty definite idea of what we wanted. We would look at a home and see if it fit our needs, if we could change it to what we wanted, or if it was a hopeless case! When we bought this home we had both of the first two. It fit what we wanted, but we'd have to change a few things. We decided to add on a room, extend the deck, and finish the yard and the basement. So, I thought, how hard can this be. They build a room and we're done. Wahlah! (Stop your laughing.) Well, there's a lot more that goes into it than that. There's the foundation, and the framing, the insulation and the drywall. Electrical, mudding, taping, painting, and all this followed by visits from the inspector. Oh yes, the roof, and the blending it in to the rest of the house with ducting and such. Then there's the finish work and the carpet and we still have a few things that aren't done, and it needs a few pictures on the walls. So, in other words it takes a LONG time and a LOT of effort to change a thing or two.
So, isn't this how it is with personal transformation? Listen to this quote by C.S. Lewis:
Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of — throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace.
This reminds me of a toy Jack got a few years ago for his birthday. It was called a Go-bot and it's special power was that it had "The ability to change". Isn't that awesome? I like that idea, that we have a special power too, that we have the ability to change. Hopefully, it's change for the better. I was reading just this morning in the Book of Mormon and the people had a 'great check'. They checked their pride, and changed it to humility, they began doing those things that would enable them to change, and change for the better. I liked that idea, of a 'great check'. Being a list person and all, I might just make a list (short at first) and check myself on those qualities, and if I'm falling short, couldn't I use my special powers and make a change?
But we've got to give ourselves a little time...and effort...and do it right. And a little encouragement here and there never hurt anyone! So, here's to renewed effort and joy in...TRANSFORMATION!
*Check out Wordful Wednesday, and write your own post, or leave a comment here.




7 comments:
Second post I've read today with that wonderful C.S. Lewis. He is so good with imagery.
Hope your remodel goes well!
I really like the idea of having a "super" ability to change. Even if it does take a long time sometimes, it can happen eventually. Isn't it wonderful!
so now I'm thinking that extra room off the garage really isn't going to happen anytime soon..haha. I'm sure change can happen in tiny spaces too.
How do I get my yard to look like that photo?
So is that your yard - or just what you hope it will look like?
I love the imagery.
No, that is not my yard...but it's great isn't it! Thank heavens for Google images :). I tried to find an appropriate palace, but I guess I'm still more comfortable with the cottage!
Thank you so much for the post. I loved it and it totally makes you think. :) You are wonderful!
Post a Comment