Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Mother's Role

This week's Wordful Wednesday is about the role of the mother.  As the proclamation puts it:

"By divine design...Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." (Family Proclamation, paragraph 7)





I wanted to write a big poem about a Mother's role, but I was so busy that this is all I could come up with:

A mother's role is none too small,
From sun up to sun down, she does it all.

Her duty and love she never shirks,
And just smiles inside when asked if she works.

A mother's role is to do her best,
Turning to God for help with the rest.


I thought this cartoon was funny.  While I've never been the "back-to-work Barbie", I have been and looked like the "overextended Barbie"!  In my recent personal scripture study I went through the Sermon on the Mount verse by verse, with a dictionary by my side.  I looked up the word peacemaker, and it's very simple.  One who makes peace.  Now I take my role as HOME MAKER very seriously.  I am the one, really, who has to make our house a home.  I am making it with every decision I make.  But now I must add PEACE MAKER to my list of very important things to be.  Could you imagine with me if I could find the ways to make peace every time an argument arose, every time the kids didn't do exactly as I wanted them to and I didn't raise my voice?  Could you imagine the peace we could have?  This doesn't mean it's quiet all the time.  That would be very boring, wouldn't it. Do I think it's possible?  Sorta.  I am realistic and human, after all.  But it's nice to think about life now and in the future as peaceful. And wouldn't being peaceful be a little easier to be nurturing in all the ways and times that we need to be nurturing?  Well, those are some thoughts before I'm off to make some peace.  Wish me luck!

9 comments:

JRoberts said...

LOVED the comics! :)

If we had "peace" in my house all the time...life really would be boring! I agree, it really is more than just quietly being there.

Thanks for the laugh and the thought.

The HousewifeTravels said...

Good one!

Jannet said...

Stepping out of my "blurker" role to comment. Thanks for the laughs and the comics. So very true.
I love the idea of home-maker and peace-maker. Mothers need to be both really. I wonder what else I should be trying to be a maker of: faith-maker, happiness-maker, love-maker?

Jill said...

I really like this post. Good luck witht the peacemaker thing. This mom is working on it here and it's harder than it might seem. Working on it is good though, right?

I think I'm enjoying my role as 'homemaker' better than I ever have before. I do feel so grateful that I'm able to do it at all.

Montserrat said...

Both comics are hilarious!! Probably because it hits so close to home. :D

Your thoughts on being a peacemaker brought to mind Sis. Beck's talk from conference that "mothers can feel help from the Spirit even when tired, noisy children are clamoring for attention, but they can be distanced from the Spirit if they lose their temper with children." That is the importance of making that peace!

Esther said...

What are we if we can't laugh at ourselves...I'm sure we could come up with a few other Motherhood barbies.
Love the connnection between home maker and peace maker!

Godlonton Family Adventures said...

Quiet would be boring...or as usual in my house...someone's into something! Great post!

Vern said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and thanks for not completely giving up on me just because I can't blog with the cool LRS ladies anymore. I feel like I've got Postpartum Barbie mastered still and I haven't had a baby in 10 years. Do you think that's too long?

Jocelyn Christensen said...

You're lookin' at over-extended Barbie right here! :)