Sunday, January 22, 2012

Job charts, version who knows what

I have shared job charts before, and always made the disclaimer that they only last as long as the interest in them by both the parent and the child. Since this one has been going a while I thought I'd share.  Also, I was too lazy to get my real camera so this one is kind of fuzzy...but you'll get the idea anyway!

I just cut up post-it size squares of scrapbook paper and glued them to a piece of paper, then laminated each one. Now, I write the jobs I want done on a post-it and put it on the cabinet door just around the corner from this job chart site.  When I need a certain job done by a certain person I get all technical and write their name on it.  Otherwise it's a first come first serve kind of system.  Jack used to hate doing the dishwasher, but now that it's a choice between that and folding towels, something he hates worse, he chooses the dishwasher.  That's fine with me because it will get done, Jane will fold towels, she loves it, and Jeffrey usually does whatever is left.  Sometimes Jack ends up with the towel folding job and the next time jobs are put up, he gets to it first instead of putting it off.

My problem with pre-made job charts is it's not all comprehensive of the jobs that need done in a day.  Sometimes the van is trashed and needs cleaned out, and sometimes the shoe bin is chock full and needs redistributed.  I like not having restrictions of what to pick from.

Jobs are worth 25cents in most cases.  If it's worth more then the amount is written in the corner.  If a job is done with whines and moans and groans (wmg's), their post-it gets tossed in the trash and they STILL have to do the job.  If the wmg's continue they start getting "minus 25cents" post-its put on their chart.  I don't like just throwing away post-its they've already put on because they actually did earn the money for that job, and when they go to cash out they can see that the wmg's have cancelled out all their other hard work. 

They each get two 30 minute post-it's for screen time during the week worth 50 cents each.  If they don't use them, they get a dollar!  If they do it's no skin off my nose and it's their choice.  They have to use it M-F and be done by 5:00.  Family screen time doesn't count.  If they use one, they just stick it outside of their chart and when they've cashed out on Saturdays, they put them back on their chart.  It's been so nice to not have to say yes or no all the time to requests for computer, tv, wii, etc. 

The big post-it has their weekly stuff on it.  Homework, piano, specific projects for school, Faith in God, etc.  This way, I might even remember to remind them!  It works for both of us.  These don't necessarily have money attached to them, but they might get a 'bonus' post-it at anytime for being self-motivated to get these things done. 


The reason we have jobs worth money is so they can start learning a bit about earning, tithing, saving, and spending on things that last or matter.  I want them to be able to buy each other gifts for birthday or Christmas, or buy the materials for the gift they want to make.  This worked well when the boys wanted to make a doll house for the girls at Christmas time.  They bought the spray paint, paid John for the wood (at a heavily discounted price), and even bought a couple of dolls to go with it.
 
My favorite part is how age appropriate it is for everyone!  Katie Anne loves having her own chart and recognizing when she's being helpful.  She likes to write her own post-its!  At cash out day she picks out of a little prize bag instead, and the other kids have the option of doing that once in a while as well.  The prize bag favorites are flarp, drink powder singles, Squinkies (bought on clearance and taken out of the package to go farther), and punch balloons.

So, there you have it.  Our latest and greatset in job charts.  I think this one is here to stay!  At least for now...

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Brilliant.

Verity said...

Oh, man, I can so relate to chore charts coming and going. My latest one involves "magnets" on the fridge. At the very least, it helps the kids stay focused after school before they can PLAY! Thanks for the inspiration!